Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between molecular mass and molar mass

1. Jan 25, 2015 #1
    Molecular mass of water is constant i.e mass of one mole of water i.e 18 g
    Molar mass is the mass of a substance depending on how many moles of substance is taken into consideration.
    Ex.
    A mole of H2O: 18 g
    Two moles of H2O: 36 g
    Three moles of H2O: 54g
    and so on.
    Right?
    And molecular mass and molecular weight are same ,right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not really. Mass is mass. Weight is mass times acceleration. When you're in the lab "weighing" materials you are performing that operation in the earth's gravitational field and the acceleration is 9.8 m/s2 and usually ignored in scale or balance calibrations.
    No. "Molar mass" is the mass of ONE mole. Chemists usually use the "gram mole" which is molecular mass times one gram.
    Yes.
    Yes.

4. Jan 25, 2015 #3
    Molecular weight is an antiquated term that, back in the day, was used to describe what we now call molecular mass. (I still call it molecular weight)

Chet

5. Jan 25, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

And, to be strictly correct, "relative molecular mass" with a specification of which mass standard 16O, old standard, or 12C, new.

6. Jan 26, 2015 #5
    And what about difference between molecular mass and molar mass?

7. Jan 26, 2015 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

8. Jan 26, 2015 #7

DrDu

Science Advisor

I must be an unusual chemist, then :-)
    Whatever a "gram mole" may be, it is certainly not the molecular mass times one gram.
    Rather the molecular mass, i.e. the mass of a single molecule, is usually specified in units of "Daltons" where 1 u = 1 g/mol /Na =1.660 538 921(73)×10−27 kg.
    This has the effect that the molar mass, i.e. mass of one mole of these molecules has the same numerical value in units of g/mol as has the molecular mass in units of Daltons.
    This has the confusing effect for adepts that chemists often don't differentiate between molecular and molar mass.
    Also, they often speak of "molecular weight" instead of molecular mass, a relic from the pre-history of science, when people still did not clearly differentiate between mass and weight. E.g. Berzelius had a wooden sign over the door of his lab, saying:
    "God has ordered everything according to its number, measure and weight".
    But till then, almost 200 years have passed.

9. Jan 26, 2015 #8
    To Bystander
    Why you have blocked me?You are my favorite.You have been very helpful to me.
    Regards.

10. Jan 26, 2015 #9

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Huh?

11. Jan 26, 2015 #10
    To Bystander
    Why have you blocked me?You are my favorite.You have been very helpful to me.
    Regards.

12. Jan 26, 2015 #11

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I haven't blocked anyone as far as I know.

13. Jan 26, 2015 #12
    Why I am not able to do conversation with you?I have asked this question,and one of members answered that you might have blocked me.

14. Jan 26, 2015 #13

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There are limits on number of conversations. Did have a couple old ones that I just cleared out. Try again.

15. Jan 26, 2015 #14
    I am still not able to start conversation with you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook