Difference between Waveguides and Resonators

In summary: Waveguides are structures that direct electromagnetic energy along a desired path, transmission lines being just one example. Resonators are usually in the form of shorted segments of shielded transmission lines. Source: Wikipedia
CGandC
Homework Statement
Are Waveguides considered to be Resonators?

Also, do resonators have to be closed? or can they have openings?
Relevant Equations
-
I claim that waveguides are resonators because a resonator is defined as a device which can produce you normal modes of some ' mathematical object' you're looking for, which in waveguide's case is Electromagnetic fields ( waveguide can produce normal modes called TE and TM ).

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
CGandC said:
Problem Statement: Are Waveguides considered to be Resonators?

Relevant Equations: -

Am I right?
how about posting a link to somewhere reliable that supports your claim :smile:

davenn said:
how about posting a link to somewhere reliable that supports your claim :smile:

It is from my study notes so there is no link.

CGandC said:
Problem Statement: Are Waveguides considered to be Resonators?

Relevant Equations: -

I claim that waveguides are resonators because a resonator is defined as a device which can produce you normal modes of some ' mathematical object' you're looking for, which in waveguide's case is Electromagnetic fields ( waveguide can produce normal modes called TE and TM ).

Am I right?
Waveguides do not produce normal modes, but allow some kinds of EM waves travel through them.

Likes jim mcnamara
Waveguides are structures that direct electromagnetic energy along a desired path, transmission lines being just one example.
Resonators are usually in the form of shorted segments of shielded transmission lines.
Source from Waveguides and Resonators

ehild said:
Waveguides do not produce normal modes, but allow some kinds of EM waves travel through them.

Why waveguides don't produce normal mode?
If waveguides do allow some kinds of EM waves to travel through them, they are identified by discrete numbers therefore they are defined as normal modes.

For example: $$ TE_{10} $$ is a normal mode and $$ TE_{20} $$ is another normal mode.

In other words, what would you define as normal mode?

1. What is the main difference between waveguides and resonators?

Waveguides are structures that are used to guide electromagnetic waves, while resonators are structures that are used to store and amplify electromagnetic energy.

2. How do waveguides and resonators work?

Waveguides work by confining and directing electromagnetic waves along a specific path, while resonators work by trapping and resonating electromagnetic energy within a confined space.

3. What are the applications of waveguides and resonators?

Waveguides are commonly used in microwave and optical communication systems, while resonators are used in lasers, filters, and amplifiers.

4. Can waveguides and resonators be used together?

Yes, waveguides can be used as input and output ports for resonators, allowing for the manipulation and amplification of electromagnetic waves within the resonator.

5. How do the sizes of waveguides and resonators differ?

Waveguides are typically larger in size compared to resonators, which are smaller and can be integrated into micro- and nanoscale devices.