1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference equation and diagonal block matrix

1. Oct 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compute ##A^j~\text{for} ~~j=1,2,....,n## for the block diagonal matrix##A=\begin{bmatrix}
    J_2(1)& \\
    &J_3(0)
    \end{bmatrix}##,

And show that the difference equation ##x_{j+1}=Ax_{j}## has a solution satisfying ##|x_{j}|\rightarrow\infty~\text{as}~j\rightarrow\infty##
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So ##A^1=\begin{bmatrix}
    1&1&0&0&0 \\
    0&1&0&0&0 \\
    0&0&0&1&0 \\
    0&0&0&0&1 \\
    0&0&0&0&0
    \end{bmatrix}
    ,~~A^2=\begin{bmatrix}
    1&2&0&0&0 \\
    0&1&0&0&0 \\
    0&0&0&0&1 \\
    0&0&0&0&0 \\
    0&0&0&0&0
    \end{bmatrix}
    ,~~A^j=\begin{bmatrix}
    1&j&0&0&0 \\
    0&1&0&0&0 \\
    0&0&0&0&0 \\
    0&0&0&0&0 \\
    0&0&0&0&0
    \end{bmatrix}\forall ~~j\geq 3 ##

I am certain that this isn't a difficult question, but I am not sure how to apply this to the difference equation. Which is probably due to my lack of experience with them. Help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For my sake: apparently ##J_2## and ##J_3## have a special meaning. Could you explain ?

4. Oct 14, 2015 #3
    Yes sorry about that, I should have put it in the question.

##J_2(1) = ~\text{the 2x2 jordan block matrix with 1 as eigenvalues}~=\begin{bmatrix} 1&1 \\ 0&1 \end{bmatrix}##
    And ## J_3(0) = ~\text{the 3x3 jordan block matrix with 0 as eigenvalues}~=\begin{bmatrix} 0&1&0 \\ 0&0&1 \\0&0&0 \end{bmatrix}##

5. Oct 14, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I learned something !

But now I can't be of much further help, because I can't imagine what they want to count as a 'solution' for ##
    x_{j+1}=Ax_{j}##, which to me is just a recipe to get ##
    x_{j+1}## from ##x_{j}##.

I mean, is ##x_0 = \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}## a 'solution' ? (I ignore the other dimensions that go to 0 anyway)
    Because ##x_{j+1} = A x_j## is satisfied (always !?) and ##x_j = \begin{bmatrix} 1 + j \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}## so that
    ##|x_{j}|\rightarrow\infty~\text{as}~j\rightarrow\infty##

--

6. Oct 14, 2015 #5
    I am glad I was involved in helping someone learn something new!

Mod note: Fixed typo in post #1
    I think I should point out that there is a typo in the original question, it should be:

##A^j=\begin{bmatrix}
    1&j&0&0&0 \\
    0&1&0&0&0 \\
    0&0&0&0&0 \\
    0&0&0&0&0 \\
    0&0&0&0&0
    \end{bmatrix}\forall ~~j\geq 3 ~\text{rather than}~
    A^j=\begin{bmatrix}
    1&n&0&0&0 \\
    0&1&0&0&0 \\
    0&0&0&0&0 \\
    0&0&0&0&0 \\
    0&0&0&0&0
    \end{bmatrix}\forall ~~j\geq 3##

And yes what you say makes sense.. I think as long as ##x_0## has a positive value in the 2nd row it will be satisfied (since the second column in ##A^j## is unbounded in ##j##) and ##|x_ j| =\sqrt{j^2+1}## which tends to infinity as ##j## does. Do you agree ?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  7. Oct 14, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree with you, but that doesn't mean much (real knowledge trumps common sense). Would appreciate it very much if you would post if it turns out we are both wrong :smile:

Here they call ## a_n = r^n## the solution for the difference equation ##a_n = r a_{n-1}## so in that jargon I have inadvertently posted the actual solution,

which is in fact against PF rules. May I be forgiven by O2 and all the other good spirits that watch over us, because I did not know what I was doing

8. Oct 14, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try writing out the first few terms ##x_2, x_3 x_4 \ldots##, to see how they relate to ##x_1##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted