Difference equations steady states (Problem in the last step)

In summary, the equation provided is of the form \gamma -\delta p_t = \frac{p_{t-1}-\alpha}{\beta} or p_t = \frac{-1}{\delta \beta}p_{t-1} + \frac{\alpha + \gamma \beta}{\delta \beta}, with a steady state of p^* = \frac{\alpha + \gamma \beta}{\delta \beta + 1}. For the steady state to be stable, the condition is that \alpha + \beta \gamma - \beta \delta < 1. However, in order to get within one penny of equilibrium, the condition becomes \left(\frac{5}{6}
sid9221
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33103477/model.png
Form of the equation

[tex] \gamma -\delta p_t = \frac{p_{t-1}-\alpha}{\beta} [/tex]

or

[tex] p_t = \frac{-1}{\delta \beta}p_{t-1} + \frac{\alpha + \gamma \beta}{\delta \beta} [/tex]

So the steady state is [tex] p^* = \frac{\alpha + \gamma \beta}{\delta \beta + 1} [/tex]

For the steady state to be stable it should tend to zero hence

[tex] \alpha + \gamma \beta < \delta \beta + 1 [/tex]

or [tex] \alpha + \beta \gamma - \beta \delta < 1 [/tex]

Now the general solution from the def of a steady state can be given by:

[tex] P_n = (\frac{-1}{\delta \beta})^n [1-\frac{\alpha + \gamma \beta}{\delta \beta + 1}] + \frac{\alpha + \gamma \beta}{\delta \beta + 1} [/tex]

Subbing in values:

[tex] P_n = (\frac{-5}{6})^n [\frac{-9}{11}] + \frac{20}{11} [/tex]

So say I put [tex] P_n = (\frac{20}{11} - \frac{1}{100}) [/tex] ie within a penny(approaching downwards)

than [tex] [\frac{-5}{6}]^n = \frac{11}{900} [/tex]

Which can't be solved as log of negative is the "end of the universe". So where am I going wrong ?

The condition for the steady state to be stable might be wrong but that's a secondry issue, is there anyway I can get the minus out cause without it I get an reasonable answer of around 24 days..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sid9221 said:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33103477/model.png
Form of the equation

[tex] \gamma -\delta p_t = \frac{p_{t-1}-\alpha}{\beta} [/tex]

or

[tex] p_t = \frac{-1}{\delta \beta}p_{t-1} + \frac{\alpha + \gamma \beta}{\delta \beta} [/tex]

So the steady state is [tex] p^* = \frac{\alpha + \gamma \beta}{\delta \beta + 1} [/tex]

For the steady state to be stable it should tend to zero hence

[tex] \alpha + \gamma \beta < \delta \beta + 1 [/tex]

or [tex] \alpha + \beta \gamma - \beta \delta < 1 [/tex]

Now the general solution from the def of a steady state can be given by:

[tex] P_n = (\frac{-1}{\delta \beta})^n [1-\frac{\alpha + \gamma \beta}{\delta \beta + 1}] + \frac{\alpha + \gamma \beta}{\delta \beta + 1} [/tex]

Subbing in values:

[tex] P_n = (\frac{-5}{6})^n [\frac{-9}{11}] + \frac{20}{11} [/tex]

So say I put [tex] P_n = (\frac{20}{11} - \frac{1}{100}) [/tex] ie within a penny(approaching downwards)

than [tex] [\frac{-5}{6}]^n = \frac{11}{900} [/tex]

Which can't be solved as log of negative is the "end of the universe". So where am I going wrong ?

The condition for the steady state to be stable might be wrong but that's a secondry issue, is there anyway I can get the minus out cause without it I get an reasonable answer of around 24 days..

You might not be able to get to exactly one penny away from equilibrium in an integer number of periods. However, you do want to get *within* one penny of equilibrium. Your [itex] P_n [/itex] fluctuates above and below equilibrium, so you need
[tex] \left|P_n - \frac{11}{20} \right| \leq \frac{1}{100},[/tex] hence
[tex] \frac{9}{11} \left| \left(\frac{-5}{6} \right)^n \right| \leq \frac{1}{100}, [/tex]
or [tex] \left(\frac{5}{6} \right)^n \leq \frac{11}{900}.[/tex]

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, can you tell me if my condition for stability of the steady state is ok ?

What are difference equations?

Difference equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the values of a variable at different points in time. They are often used to model systems that change over time.

What are steady states in difference equations?

In difference equations, steady states are the values of a variable that do not change over time. They represent the equilibrium points of the system, where the input and output are equal.

What is the last step in solving a problem involving difference equations?

The last step in solving a problem involving difference equations is to find the steady state values. This is typically done by setting the equation equal to 0 and solving for the variable.

How do you know if a system has multiple steady states?

A system has multiple steady states if there are multiple values of the variable that satisfy the equation. This can be determined by graphing the equation and observing where it intersects the x-axis.

What factors can affect the stability of a steady state in a difference equation?

The stability of a steady state in a difference equation can be affected by the parameters and initial conditions of the equation. If the parameters are too large or the initial conditions are too far from the steady state, the system may not reach a stable equilibrium.