Difference in depth between the swimmer and its image

In summary, the apparent difference in depth between the swimmer and its image in the mirror is 3 meters. This is found by using the formula h'=h(1/(4/3)) where h' is the apparent depth as seen by the observer and h is the actual depth of the object. Since it is a plane mirror, the image distance is only twice the object distance from the mirror. Therefore, the distance between the swimmer and its image in the mirror is 3 meters.
jsalapide
A plane mirror is placed on the level bottom of a swimming pool, which holds water to a depth of 3 m. A swimmer is located 2.0 m above the mirror. An observer above the water looks vertically downward at the swimmer and its image in the mirror. What is the apparent difference in depth between the swimmer and its image in the mirror?

I used the formula h'=h(1/(4/3)) where h' is the apparent depth as seen by the observer and h as the actual depth of the object.

the h' of the swimmer is 0.75 m while the mirror is 2.25 m.

I subtracted the 0.75 to 2.25 to get the distance between those 2. And I got 1.5.

Since it's a plane mirror, the image distance is only twice the object distance from the mirror.

My answer is 3 m..

is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jsalapide! :smile:
jsalapide said:
… I used the formula h'=h(1/(4/3)) where h' is the apparent depth as seen by the observer and h as the actual depth of the object.

the h' of the swimmer is 0.75 m while the mirror is 2.25 m.

I subtracted the 0.75 to 2.25 to get the distance between those 2. And I got 1.5.

Since it's a plane mirror, the image distance is only twice the object distance from the mirror.

My answer is 3 m..

is it correct?

Yup! :smile:

(but a bit longwinded … you could have said the actual distance is 4m, then apply the h' formula, which reduces it to 3m … you don't need to find the 0.75 :wink:)

Your calculations are correct, but your answer is not entirely accurate. The apparent difference in depth between the swimmer and its image in the mirror is actually 1.5 meters, not 3 meters. This means that the swimmer appears to be 1.5 meters deeper in the mirror than they actually are in the water. This is because the light rays reflecting off the swimmer's image in the mirror are coming from a virtual image that is 1.5 meters behind the mirror's surface. This creates the illusion that the swimmer is deeper in the water when viewed from above.

1. What causes the difference in depth between a swimmer and its image?

The difference in depth between a swimmer and its image is caused by the way light travels through water. When light hits the surface of the water, it bends due to the change in density between air and water. This bending of light creates an optical illusion that makes the swimmer appear shallower or deeper than they actually are.

2. Why does the difference in depth between a swimmer and its image seem to vary?

The difference in depth between a swimmer and its image can seem to vary because it is affected by many factors, such as the angle at which the light hits the water, the clarity of the water, and the distance between the swimmer and the observer. These variables can cause the illusion to appear stronger or weaker at different times.

3. Does the difference in depth between a swimmer and its image only occur in water?

No, the difference in depth illusion can also occur in other mediums, such as glass or curved surfaces. This is because it is caused by the way light bends when it travels through different densities.

4. Can the difference in depth illusion be manipulated?

Yes, the difference in depth illusion can be manipulated by changing the variables that affect it, such as the angle of light or the distance between the swimmer and the observer. Additionally, wearing certain types of goggles or using specialized equipment can also alter the illusion.

5. Is the difference in depth between a swimmer and its image the same for everyone?

No, the difference in depth illusion can vary from person to person, as it is influenced by individual differences in visual perception. Factors such as age, eye health, and depth perception can affect how a person perceives the difference in depth between a swimmer and its image.