1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference in depth between the swimmer and its image

1. Aug 31, 2009 #1
    A plane mirror is placed on the level bottom of a swimming pool, which holds water to a depth of 3 m. A swimmer is located 2.0 m above the mirror. An observer above the water looks vertically downward at the swimmer and its image in the mirror. What is the apparent difference in depth between the swimmer and its image in the mirror?

I used the formula h'=h(1/(4/3)) where h' is the apparent depth as seen by the observer and h as the actual depth of the object.

the h' of the swimmer is 0.75 m while the mirror is 2.25 m.

I subtracted the 0.75 to 2.25 to get the distance between those 2. And I got 1.5.

Since it's a plane mirror, the image distance is only twice the object distance from the mirror.

My answer is 3 m..

is it correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi jsalapide! :smile:
    Yup! :smile:

(but a bit longwinded … you could have said the actual distance is 4m, then apply the h' formula, which reduces it to 3m … you don't need to find the 0.75 :wink:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook