1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference in potential induced by a magnetostatic field? O_o

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1
    Hi,

Why is there a difference in electric potential from a point on the surface of a stationary magnet to a point on a conductor that is placed underneath a dielectric? I placed some stationary magnets on top of glass or a piece of paper and put some aluminum under it, and touch one end of a voltmeter to the magnet and the other end of the voltmeter to the aluminum, the most I got was like 0.5 volts. When I remove the paper the potential difference is zero. If I remove the magnet, the potential difference is zero. When I have the magnet there at rest on top of the paper, which is above the aluminum, the potential difference is nonzero. When I start moving the magnet and the paper away from each other, the potential difference starts dropping quickly.

I thought that only a magnetic flux that is changing could induce a difference in potential. Anyone got an idea what's going on here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Vectronix! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    That's interesting … does anyone else know the answer? :smile:

(btw, does the potential difference reverse if you turn the magnet over? and does it work with other metals?)

4. Sep 12, 2009 #3
    Hi Vectronix-
    This is a very good question, as is the suggestion by tiny-tim-
    Are you talking about a dc potential, or a transient pulse (like discharging something). What is the input impedance of your voltmeter? If is something like 20 megohms. and the distributed capacitance is certainly less than a nanoFarad, then the transient would be less than RC = 0.02 seconds. You also told us that there is no dc circuit (loop), so there can be no current, or contact potential. So it is a puzzle.

By the way, do you happen to have an analog voltmeter with a D'Arsonval movement? See
    http://www.engineersedge.com/instrumentation/electrical_meters_measurement/darsonval_movement.htm
    Is it affected by stray magnetic fields?
    Bob S

5. Sep 27, 2009 #4
    Hey, muchachos. :)

I'm sorry, I have been busy for a while, and I wasn't able to get to this sooner. Yes, the potential difference reverses when I flip the magnet over. It is a DC potential, not a transient pulse. The voltage started off at a certain level then it decreased some and stabilized after a short while when I did this. Yes, it works with different metals. I tried aluminum and copper.

I was thinking that maybe the dielectric that I use (paper, glass, etc.) and probably every other dielectric and its electric fields influence the magnetostatic field of the magnets I use thus becoming a time-varying field (changing magnitude and/or direction). But I am not sure why, if that is true. Any thoughts on this explanation? Anything to add to it? I will answer the other questions soon.

6. Sep 28, 2009 #5
    Hi Vectronix-
    Did you know that analog meters with D'Arsonval movements have moving magnets inside? Keep your magnets far away from these meters.
    Bob S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook