Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differences between Newton Raphson & Gauss Seidel Methods ?

1. Feb 11, 2013 #1
    Differences between Newton Raphson & Gauss Seidel Methods !?

hello everyone ...

can any one please summarize me the differences between Newton Raphson & Gauss Seidel Methods in load flow study !?

I'll be really thankful

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2013 #2

rbj

Re: Differences between Newton Raphson & Gauss Seidel Methods !?

i'm an EE and i have no idea what a "load flow study" is.

the Newton-Raphson and Gauss-Seidel are two different things.

as best as i can tell Gauss-Seidel is sorta equivalent to what we usually call Gaussian elimination, but i may be wrong. both are for solving a set of N linear equations with N unknowns. i don't imagine there are too many problems (like multiple, equally-valid solutions) if the N equations are all linearly independent.

Newton-Raphson is for solving for the roots of N non-linear equations. it's an iterative method that converges on a result. there are possibilities of the thing not converging on a solution, or sometimes converging on a valid solution, but it isn't the set of roots that you want. a set of N non-linear equations might have more than one result set of the N unknowns.

4. Feb 11, 2013 #3

thanks for your explanation , I meant with load flow study , power flow study in power system

5. Feb 11, 2013 #4

rbj

okay, whatever the application is, the Gauss Seidel is for a system of linear equations and Newton-Raphson is for a single non-linear equation or a system of non-linear equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook