Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power flow studies using Jacobi and Gauss Seidel

1. Apr 21, 2015 #1
    I have been asked to solve the actual load flow distribution in a given power network using two iterative methods. I have chosen Jacobi and Gauss Seidel.

we have to use MATLAB to find where the solution converges.

I am fine with all of this, but we have been tasked with providing graphical analysis of the results.

I am new to MATLAB, so would prefer to use excel as I can do this at home, but i am unsure as to how a graph would be shown and the purpose in showing it???

What would I provide a graph of? Where the solution converges for each of the nodes?

Can anyone offer some insight into this.

regards

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2015 #2

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have complex elements in the matrix? If so, Excel will let you down. GNU Octave is free and similar to MATLAB. If you are working with power flow, you could also get a student version of Powerworld. It will analyze these types of systems as well.

Are these large, real world systems or simply a smaller class type problem? Perhaps you can crank out on a good graphing calculator such as a Ti-89 or any Hp graphing calculator (the Ti-83/84 is not capable of this).

4. Apr 23, 2015 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

i'd see what these folks use

http://fnetpublic.utk.edu/gradientmap.html [Broken]

check their contact page. Knoxville Tennessee is the friendiest place i ever visited.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Apr 23, 2015 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You want a graph of maximum mismatch versus iteration number.

At each bus, add the complex power flows in and out. They should sum to zero. The actual sum is the mismatch. The interactions cease when the maximum mismatch falls below the tolerance.

By the way, CPU time rather than iteration count is a more meaningful number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook