Differences in position in 2 very similar circumstances

• Thread starter extremcurious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary, the difference in air resistance when jumping on a moving train versus inside a moving train causes the difference in landing position. When jumping on top of the train, air resistance slows your forward motion, causing you to land behind your original position. When jumping inside the train, the air resistance is equalized, causing you to land in the same spot. This is similar to the difference between riding in a car with all the windows closed versus opening a window and sticking your hand out.
extremcurious
I recently read in a book that if i am standing on the top of a moving train and i jump in the air i will land behind my original position. But if i am inside the train and i jump i will land exactly where i was originally! Is this true?? And if it is, then why does this happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
extremcurious said:
I recently read in a book that if i am standing on the top of a moving train and i jump in the air i will land behind my original position. But if i am inside the train and i jump i will land exactly where i was originally! Is this true?? And if it is, then why does this happen?

Think "air resistance". What is the difference between you riding in a car with all the windows up, and opening a window and sticking your hand out?

Zz.

Wow, it was that simple! I was thinking too much. Thanks for helping

What are the differences in position between two similar circumstances?

The differences in position between two similar circumstances can vary depending on the specific circumstances being compared. Some possible factors that may contribute to differences in position include location, time, physical properties, and external influences.

How can position be measured or quantified in scientific research?

Position can be measured or quantified using various methods such as coordinates, distance, angle, or displacement. In scientific research, precise measurements and standardized units are typically used to accurately describe and compare positions.

What role does position play in the study of natural phenomena?

Position is a crucial factor in the study of natural phenomena as it helps to identify and track changes in the environment, understand the relationships between objects, and analyze the effects of external forces on a system. It also allows for the prediction and modeling of future events.

How do differences in position affect the outcome of experiments or observations?

Differences in position can significantly impact the outcome of experiments or observations. For example, slight variations in position can result in different measurements or observations, leading to varying results. Therefore, it is essential to control and account for these differences in position in scientific research.

What are some potential sources of error related to differences in position in scientific experiments?

Some potential sources of error related to differences in position in scientific experiments include human error, equipment limitations, environmental changes, and measurement inaccuracies. These factors can introduce variability in position and ultimately affect the reliability and validity of the results.