RC Helicopter in a Train (Forces)

In summary, the helicopter would only accelerate forwards at a small fraction of the train's acceleration, due to the drag of the forward accelerating air on the helicopter, and the back wall of the box car would collide into the helicopter.
BrendanKerrisk
I was talking to my Physics teacher about this at lunch.
If I was to have an rc Helicopter which i had hovering perfecting (if only i had the skill) on a train at rest. What would happen in terms of the position of the helicopter as the train accelerated? Would is stay at the same point in reference to the train (e.g above my table) or would it stay is the same point in the air and the train would move without it? My teacher and i thought that at first the helicopter would go backwards but then just stay hovering slightly behind where it was when at rest. Any insights or thoughts please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the helicopter is inside a box car of the train, if the train accelerates forwards, then the helicopter would only accelerate forwards at a small fraction of the train's acceleration, due to the drag of the forward accelerating air on the helicopter, and the back wall of the box car would collide into the helicopter.

...unless in your attempt to maintain the hover you pitch forward and increase lift.

Is it any different than a passenger in the train? Don't you feel your body press into the seat as the train accelerates? Every free body in the train need a force to accelerate it to match the train's speed.

Even the air in the car must experience higher pressure at the back of the car as the train accelerates.

russ_watters said:
...unless in your attempt to maintain the hover you pitch forward and increase lift.
This could happen without control input, when the helicopter starts moving back through the air.

A.T. said:
This could happen without control input, when the helicopter starts moving back through the air.
Yes, but both in proportion to the slide and neither enough to maintain position and altitude without control input.

As russ_watters, the pilot could compensate with forward pitch. If the air ends up circulating so that it's moving horizontally backwards as it passes by the helicopter, then the lift (collective / power) input would be decreased. In a hover, a helicopter ends up operating in it's own induced downwash, requiring more power than in forward flight, where the helicopter advances into "fresh" air, from the air's frame of reference. From the helicopters frame of reference, if the air is moving "backwards", then it takes less collective / power to maintain altitude.

There's a limit to this. As forward speed (relative to air) increases, eventually the power / collective will have to be increased, including beyond that needed for a hover.

1. How does an RC helicopter stay in the air when placed on a moving train?

An RC helicopter uses its rotors to generate lift, which allows it to stay in the air. When placed on a moving train, the helicopter is moving at the same speed as the train, so the lift generated by the rotors is enough to counteract the force of gravity and keep the helicopter airborne.

2. Can an RC helicopter fly inside a moving train?

Technically, an RC helicopter can fly inside a moving train, as long as there is enough space and clearance for it to do so safely. However, it is not recommended as the train's movement and vibrations can affect the stability and control of the helicopter, making it difficult to operate.

3. How does the force of the train affect the flight of the RC helicopter?

The force of the train, also known as the train's inertia, can affect the flight of the RC helicopter in a few ways. The vibrations and movements of the train can make it more difficult to control the helicopter, and the air currents caused by the train's movement can also impact the stability and lift of the helicopter.

4. Is it safe to fly an RC helicopter on a moving train?

Flying an RC helicopter on a moving train can be dangerous and is not recommended. The train's movement and vibrations can affect the stability and control of the helicopter, making it difficult to operate and increasing the risk of accidents or crashes. Additionally, flying an RC helicopter near or inside a moving train can be a safety hazard for both the operator and other passengers.

5. How can I improve the flight of an RC helicopter on a moving train?

To improve the flight of an RC helicopter on a moving train, it is essential to have a well-maintained and stable helicopter with a powerful motor and responsive controls. It is also helpful to choose a larger, heavier helicopter that can withstand the vibrations and air currents caused by the train's movement. Additionally, controlling the helicopter with precise and gentle movements can help improve stability and avoid crashes.