When do I use Biot-Savart Law vs. Ampere's Law?

In summary, the use of Ampere's law requires symmetry in the integral around the loop, such as in cases of radial or linear symmetry. However, for non-symmetric cases like a single circular current carrying loop, the Biot-Savart law must be used instead. While both can be used to solve these cases, the Biot-Savart law integrals are more challenging.
oogleshmoogle
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Physics news on Phys.org
In order to use Ampere's law, it is necessary to have some symmetry to the integral around the loop. i.e. for ## \oint B \cdot dl=\mu_o I ## , in a problem with radial symmetry,(such as a long straight current carrying conductor), the ## B ## is normally constant throughout the entire circular path that is chosen for the integral. For a linear symmetry, such as a long solenoid, a path of a thin rectangular loop is used. The ## B ## is assumed to be zero outside the solenoid (over the outer part of the path) and the ## B ## is assumed to have the same value on the entire length of the interior. Biot-Savart can also be used to solve these cases, but the Biot-Savart integrals are more difficult than the Ampere's law integrals. Meanwhile for a single circular current carrying loop, you don't have a symmetric path to use Ampere's law, and the Biot-Savart solution is necessary.

Likes oogleshmoogle
Perfect answer, thank you so much! That totally clears me up.

Likes Charles Link

1. When do I use Biot-Savart Law and when do I use Ampere's Law?

The Biot-Savart Law and Ampere's Law are both equations used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire. The Biot-Savart Law is used for calculating the magnetic field at a point due to a specific current distribution, while Ampere's Law is used to find the magnetic field along a closed path surrounding a current-carrying wire or through a solenoid. In general, if you know the specific current distribution, use the Biot-Savart Law. If you only know the current passing through a closed path, use Ampere's Law.

2. Can I use Biot-Savart Law for non-uniform current distributions?

Yes, the Biot-Savart Law can be used for both uniform and non-uniform current distributions. However, for non-uniform distributions, the calculations can become more complex and may require integration.

3. When is Ampere's Law not applicable?

Ampere's Law is not applicable in cases where the magnetic field is not constant along the closed path or when there are varying electric fields present. In these cases, the full form of the Biot-Savart Law must be used.

4. Can I use Ampere's Law for a solenoid with a changing current?

No, Ampere's Law can only be used for steady currents. If the current through a solenoid is changing, the Biot-Savart Law must be used to calculate the magnetic field.

5. Which law should I use for a long straight wire?

For a long straight wire, both Biot-Savart Law and Ampere's Law can be used to calculate the magnetic field. However, Ampere's Law will give a more simplified solution and is often preferred for this case.