Different stable nuclear spins for the same isotope

In summary, 180Ta is the ground state because it has a large spin difference between it and 180m1Ta, which is the observationally stable isomer.
Garlic
Gold Member
Hello everyone,
When I look at the isotope lists, I always see only one nuclear spin for a specific isotope. (Why) can't an isotope have different nuclear spin types that are stable? I know metastable isotopes exist, but I am asking about the stable isotopes. Can't there be a case where the isotope has two stable nuclear spin types, and one is fissile but the other one is not?

Physics news on Phys.org
They exist, they are called "nuclear isomers".

Likes Garlic
nikkkom said:
They exist, they are called "nuclear isomers".

But nuclear isomers are usually unstable, there are only a few of them which are observionally stable. It is really interesting that stable nuclear isomers aren't very common, I expected lots of isotopes to have multiple stable nuclear isomers, similar to lots of elements having multiple stable isotopes.
Is it because isomeric transitions happen very rapidly if the decay is allowed, like how rapid electromagnetic decay occurs in hadron resonances?

One of the states has to have lower energies than the others, which makes a gamma decay possible.
Nuclear isomers are always excited states. The same particles are there, just in a different arrangement. This is different from nuclear isotopes.

Likes Garlic
Garlic said:
But nuclear isomers are usually unstable, there are only a few of them which are observionally stable. It is really interesting that stable nuclear isomers aren't very common

It's to be expected: nuclear isomers have different binding energy. Therefore, a more energetic one is allowed to tunnel into a less energetic state. IOW: all isomers (except for one which is ground state) are unstable.

Why is 180Ta the ground state although it has a half life about 8.1 hours, where the observationally stable 180m1Ta is a metastable nuclear isomer?

Its lifetime is just orders of magnitude larger, it is unstable but with a lifetime above the current experimental limits. The large spin difference between isomer and ground state (and other possible final states) makes the decay so rare.

Likes Garlic
I understand, thank you.

What is meant by different stable nuclear spins for the same isotope?

Different stable nuclear spins refer to the variations in the angular momentum of the nucleus of an isotope. This is caused by the different orientations and arrangements of the protons and neutrons within the nucleus.

How are nuclear spins determined for different isotopes?

Nuclear spins are determined through experiments such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) or by measuring the energy levels of the nucleus. The spins are then classified as either "even" or "odd" based on the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus.

What is the significance of different nuclear spins for the same isotope?

The different nuclear spins of the same isotope can affect its physical and chemical properties, making it useful for various applications such as in medical imaging, nuclear power, and materials science.

Can the nuclear spin of an isotope change?

Yes, the nuclear spin of an isotope can change through processes such as radioactive decay or nuclear reactions. This can result in the production of different isotopes with different nuclear spins.

How does nuclear spin impact the stability of an isotope?

The nuclear spin of an isotope does not significantly impact its stability. Instead, it is the balance of protons and neutrons in the nucleus that determines the stability of an isotope. However, certain nuclear spins may make an isotope more prone to certain types of decay.