Differentail Eq. For circle passing through origin

In summary, the conversation is about finding the differential equation for a circle that passes through the origin. The given answer is 2ay'' + y'^3 = 0, but it is pointed out that there can be an infinite number of circles passing through the origin. The conversation then goes on to discuss how to arrive at the differential equation for a circle, with the final equation being 2+2y'^2+2(y-b)y"=0. The person asking for help is grateful for the assistance and plans to solve the problem using the provided equation.
Isma
can some 1 help me with it pleasezz

Physics news on Phys.org
can u post the qstn pleasezz? :biggrin:

question is find the differential eq. for circle that passes through origin.

That can't be all there is to it. There are an infinite number of circles that pass through the origin.

exactly...i m v confused...thats all wat the question is for assignment i ve to submit tomorrow
i just kno the answer but don't kno anything else
ans: 2ay''+y'(raise to the power 3)=0

2ay + y^3 = 0.
2a = -y^2
This represents a circle!

yesss!
thx a lot :)

but how will we come to this eq. from start if we dint know the DE?

what is the eq you were given for circle that pass in (0,0) ? is it like this one : [tex](x-a)^2 +(y-b)^2 = a^2 +b^2[/tex]

Last edited:
How about writing out the entire problem as it was given?
Isma said:
just kno the answer but don't kno anything else
ans: 2ay''+y'(raise to the power 3)=0
How can that be an answer when there was no "a" in the original question?

Vaishakh said:
2ay + y^3 = 0.
2a = -y^2
This represents a circle!

In what sense does that represent a circle?

Isma said:
yesss!
thx a lot :)

Did you understand what he meant??

Any circle, that passes through the origin can be written
(x- a)2+ (y- b)2= a2+ b2
(I just noticed that ziad1985 said that!)

Differentiating wrt x, 2(x-a)+ 2(y-b)y'= 0.

Differentiating again, 2+ 2y'2+ 2(y-b)y"= 0.

Now combine those into an equation that does not have either a or b in it.

actually...this assignment was given just after 1st lecture on DE in class...so i was v much messed up in mind...nd abt that thanks heheheh...it made sense at that moment but not in the next 1:)
i really appreciate u helpin me ...i m going to solve it like that
thx!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time in terms of its rate of change. It involves derivatives, which are measures of how a function changes when its input changes.

2. How is a circle passing through the origin represented by a differential equation?

A circle passing through the origin can be represented by the differential equation x^2 + y^2 = r^2, where r is the radius of the circle and x and y are the coordinates of any point on the circle.

3. Can a circle passing through the origin have multiple solutions?

No, a circle passing through the origin has only one solution. This is because the circle is defined by a fixed radius and any point that satisfies the equation x^2 + y^2 = r^2 will lie on the circle passing through the origin.

4. What are some real-life applications of differential equations for circles passing through the origin?

Differential equations for circles passing through the origin can be used to model the motion of planets around the sun, the orbit of satellites around the earth, or the movement of a pendulum in a circular motion.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving differential equations for circles passing through the origin?

Yes, there are specific techniques for solving differential equations for circles passing through the origin, such as using polar coordinates or the separation of variables method. These techniques take into consideration the circular nature of the equation and make the solving process more efficient.