Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Differentiability and parametric curves

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    f(t)=(t^3, |t|^3) is a parametric representation of y=f(x)=|x|.

Consider y=|x|,
    the left hand derivative f '-(0)=-1 and the right hand derivative f '+(0)=1, so f(x) is clearly not differentiable at 0.

But
    f '(t)=(3t^2, 3t^2) for t>=0
    f '(t)=(3t^2, -3t^2) for t<=0
    f '(0)=(0,0) and f(t) is differentiable at 0 (my textbook says this explicitly)

These 2 are talking about the same point, how can one gives that it's differentiable at 0 and the other gives that it's not differentiable at 0?

==============================================

Secondly, my textbook says that f '(a)>0 (a is real number) doesn't imply that f is increasing in some neighbourhood of a, how come?

Thanks for explaining!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

In order to be a "valid" parameterization, the derivatives of all components must not be 0 for the same t. Since x'(0)= y'(0)= 0, this is not a valid parameterization.

4. Oct 26, 2007 #3
    But my textbook says that "f(t)=(t^3, |t|^3) is a parametric representation of y=f(x)=|x|." (direct quote)

5. Oct 28, 2007 #4
    any ideas?

How come the results are inconsistent? How come the parametrization shows that y=|x| is differentiable at x=0?

6. Oct 29, 2007 #5
    Please help me...I am confused...

7. Oct 29, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

I have already answered this. Yes, what you give is a "parameterization" of the curve. But it is not a "valid" parameterization (some texts say "smooth" parameterization) because at t=0, f'(0) is the 0 vector. It is precisely because of problems like you have here that "valid" parameterizations are normally required.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook