1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiability and parametric curves

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    f(t)=(t^3, |t|^3) is a parametric representation of y=f(x)=|x|.

Consider y=|x|,
    the left hand derivative f '-(0)=-1 and the right hand derivative f '+(0)=1, so f(x) is clearly not differentiable at 0.

But
    f '(t)=(3t^2, 3t^2) for t>=0
    f '(t)=(3t^2, -3t^2) for t<=0
    f '(0)=(0,0) and f(t) is differentiable at 0 (my textbook says this explicitly)

These 2 are talking about the same point, how can one gives that it's differentiable at 0 and the other gives that it's not differentiable at 0?

==============================================

Secondly, my textbook says that f '(a)>0 (a is real number) doesn't imply that f is increasing in some neighbourhood of a, how come?

Thanks for explaining!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In order to be a "valid" parameterization, the derivatives of all components must not be 0 for the same t. Since x'(0)= y'(0)= 0, this is not a valid parameterization.

4. Oct 26, 2007 #3
    But my textbook says that "f(t)=(t^3, |t|^3) is a parametric representation of y=f(x)=|x|." (direct quote)

5. Oct 28, 2007 #4
    any ideas?

How come the results are inconsistent? How come the parametrization shows that y=|x| is differentiable at x=0?

6. Oct 29, 2007 #5
    Please help me...I am confused...

7. Oct 29, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have already answered this. Yes, what you give is a "parameterization" of the curve. But it is not a "valid" parameterization (some texts say "smooth" parameterization) because at t=0, f'(0) is the 0 vector. It is precisely because of problems like you have here that "valid" parameterizations are normally required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?