Differentiability of xy function

In summary: f(x,y)=xy is differentiable at (x_0,y_0) if and only if there exists a vector u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j} and a function \epsilon(x,y) such that for for some f(x,y)= f(x_0,y_0)+ (u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j})\cdot ((x-x_0)\vec{i}+ (y- y_0)\vec{j})+ \epsilon(x,y) and that \lim_{(x,y)\to (x_0,y_0)} \epsilon
gamitor

Homework Statement

Dear all,

How can I show that the function f(x,y)=xy is differentiable?

Thanks

Dimitris

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your definition of 'differentiable' for a function of multiple variables?

Dick said:
What's your definition of 'differentiable' for a function of multiple variables?

I have the definition of differentiability in the pdf file.

View attachment question.pdf

Thanks

It can take several hours for an attachment to be approved. Sure you don't want to explain it in words?

The definition is in that link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative

at the 4.4 section

"The total derivative, the total differential and the Jacobian"

The first at 4.4 that appears

Thanks

Ok, so in that definition a and h are vectors, yes? Label the components. a=(a_x,a_y), h=(h_x,h_y). Now the formula says if you subtract the linear function f'(a)(h) from f(a+h)-f(a) you are supposed to be left with something that goes to 0 faster than h as h goes to 0. It might help to expand f(a+h)-f(a) in the case where f(x,y)=xy. Do you see a linear part in h?

Well, what you give in the first response is NOT a definition of "differentiable". It certainly is not what is given in the Wikipedia site. I think you must have copied wrong- you have an "f(x,y)" that doesn't belong in there.

Essentially, what Wikipedia says is that f(x,y) is differentiable at [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex] if and only if there exist a vector [itex]u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j}[/itex] and a function [itex]\epsilon(x,y)[/itex] such that for for some [itex]f(x,y)= f(x_0,y_0)+ (u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j})\cdot ((x-x_0)\vec{i}+ (y- y_0)\vec{j})+ \epsilon(x,y)[/itex] and that [itex]\lim_{(x,y)\to (x_0,y_0)} \epsilon(x,y)/\sqrt{(x-x_0)^2+ (y-y_0)^2}= 0[/itex].

In that case, the vector [itex]u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j}[/itex] is the "gradient" of f at [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex].

So I would recommend that you go ahead and find the gradient of f(x,y)= xy at [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] and use that to determine what [itex]\epsilon(x,y)[/itex] must be. If you can then prove that [itex]\epsilon(x,y)/\sqrt{(x-x_0)^2+ (y- y_0)^2}[/itex] goes to 0 as (x,y) goes to [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex], you are done.

1. What is the definition of differentiability for a xy function?

The differentiability of a xy function refers to the ability of the function to have a well-defined tangent line at every point on its graph. This means that the function must be continuous and have a unique slope at each point.

2. How do you determine if a xy function is differentiable?

A xy function is differentiable if it is continuous and has a defined derivative at every point on its graph. This can be determined by using the limit definition of the derivative or by checking if the function follows the differentiability rules.

3. Can a xy function be differentiable at a point but not continuous?

No, a xy function must be continuous in order to be differentiable at a point. This is because the definition of differentiability requires the function to be continuous and have a well-defined slope at that point.

4. What are some common examples of non-differentiable xy functions?

Some common examples of non-differentiable xy functions include absolute value, step functions, and functions with sharp corners or cusps. These functions fail to meet the criteria for differentiability, either due to discontinuities or undefined slopes at certain points.

5. How is differentiability related to the continuity of a xy function?

Differentiability and continuity are closely related concepts. A function must be continuous in order to be differentiable at a point. However, a differentiable function does not necessarily have to be continuous. In other words, differentiability is a stricter condition than continuity.