Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential eq without multivariable?

1. Jul 29, 2010 #1
    this fall im taking differential equations at my university without having taken multivariable calculus part 2 (my school splits multivariable calc into 2 quarters, I've only taken the first quarter). I have taken linear algebra (took it last quarter)

so basically what i'm wondering is will this be okay for me or will i find myself significantly behind the class? (the requirement for my diff. eq class is only part 1 of multivariable, which i have completed, and linear algebra is "strongly recommended" which i have completed as well but I am still a little unsure whether I will be able to keep pace with this class)

by the way my school does not start until mid-september and I am thinking of getting a head start, I purchased the textbook (diff eq by polking) and i find it very difficult to follow. any suggestions as to some other books i may be able to use to learn faster / more efficiently?

this is my first time posting so i apologize if any of this has been asked before but i would really appreciate an answer

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think you would find it very difficult. For example, a topic taken up very early in a differential equations course is solving "exact" first order equations. That uses, directly, the concept of an "exact differential" and when a differential is not exact- a topic from multivariable calculus. In addition, because the topic of "linear equations" is so important- and based on the fact that the solutions of a linear, homogeneous equation form a vector space, I would want differential equations students to have both multivariable calculus and linear algebra as perrequisites.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook