Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Which derivatives should I review for my DiffEq course?

1. Jul 21, 2016 #1
    Background:
    It has been about a year and a half since I took Calc 3 so I am not as familiar with using derivatives as I would like to be. Basically my math dept. had a concentration in math-stats that didn't even require differential equations at all, so I wasn't expecting to take the course. Now that I am moving into the computational math concentration I need to take the course. I have done Calc 1-3, Linear Algebra, and two introductory proof classes one which got into some Advanced Calc stuff (metric spaces, equivalence relations, etc...)

Question:
    As stated in the topic, which aspects of derivatives should I review for Diff. Eq?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2016 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Assuming you already have a solid grasp of polynomials, I would recommend reviewing partial derivatives, exponentials and trig functions.

4. Jul 21, 2016 #3
    Yes I do and that is one of the areas that came to mind. Thank you! Would you recommend going over gradient vectors or change of coordinate systems?

5. Jul 21, 2016 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

Those are always helpful; it seems like those concepts are closely related to partial derivatives and are a likely application.

6. Jul 21, 2016 #5
    Yeah they are applications. I really appreciate your help so thank you again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted