1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation, Bernoulli

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3y^2*y'+y^3= e^-x

3. The attempt at a solution

I am using Bernoulli's equation to substitute V in and I keep coming out with
    Y^3= e^x(-e^-x+c)

my V = y^3
    Y = v^(1/3)
    and dy/dv=(1/3)v^(-2/3)

I peeked to see if I was correct, the right answer is supposed to be Y^3 = e^-x (x+c)

Where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

v=y^3 is certainly a good substitution to use, and v=e^(-x)*(x+c) is certainly the correct answer. What I don't understand is how you used Bernoulli's equation to get a wrong answer. Can you explain?

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    Ok I will try and explain what I did:

After getting those substitutions I applied them all to the original equation and got out:

(1/3)v(-2/3)* Dv/Dx + (1/3)v(1/3) = (1/(3ex))*v(-2/3)

Multiplied by the inverse of dy/dv to get:

dv/dx + v = 1/(ex)

This is where I got confused, the function I am supposed to put into Bernoulli's formula usually lies in front of V, so I figured I would use 1, so I did:

eintegral(1, dx) = ex

Multiplied both sides by this and integrated to get the answer that I got. I hope I better explained what I did. Do you see where I went wrong, because I still do not.

EDIT: When I multiplied both sides by ex I seemed to have spaced and not multiplied the RHS... Thus giving me 1 on the right hand side which integrates to be x+C, thus giving me the correct answer... Having me go back through it really helped me figure out what I did wrong. Thanks for helping.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  5. Sep 15, 2009 #4
    P.S. I really love this forum, everyone is so helpful!

6. Sep 15, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so now you've got e^x*v'+e^x*v=1, right? That's (e^x*v)'=1. Integrate both sides then solve for v.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook