1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation (cosx)y +y=0 using power/taylor series

1. Jul 22, 2011 #1
    Differential Equation (cosx)y"+y=0 using power/taylor series

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the first three nonzero terms in each of two linearly indepdent solutions of the form y=[itex]\sum(c_{n}x^{n})[/itex]. Substitute known Taylor series for the analytic functions and retain enough terms to compute the necessary coefficients.

(cosx)y"+y=0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I substituted the taylor series for cosx, and the general power series into the equation, to get...

[itex]\sum(\frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n}}{(2n)!})[/itex][itex]\sum(n(n-1)c_{n}x^{n-2})[/itex]+[itex]\sum(c_{n}x^{n})[/itex]=0

I then multiplied the first term out by series multiplication but that did not seem to get me anywhere. I am stuck at this part

By the way... for the second series (second derivative) the index begins at n=2 and the other two are n=0....sorry i do not know how to put the subscripts on the series

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Differential Equation (cosx)y"+y=0 using power/taylor series

Use different summation indices in the different sums and collect the terms containing xn from the product.

ehild

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3

LaTeX or Math Symbol Notation
    On my web browser, there's a sigma/sum/ [itex]\sum[/itex] sign at the right end of the row with, Bold, Italic, underline. Click it to open a whole slew of notations. This box lists [itex]\sum[/itex] on the operator submenu. I personally, use the Subscript and Superscript menu options. One can also right click on someone's notation to "show source" and see how individual code works. Somewhere, there's a thread for the sole purpose of explaining the notation. Finally, LaTeX is standardized, so in theory it is possible to download a LaTeX editor to create the markup code, then copy and paste into here.

The lack of clarity for index variable, initial value, and final value is throwing me.

[itex]\sum ^{i=0}_{n} or
    \sum ^{n=1}_{m}[/itex]

And yes, IIRC, ehild has the right idea. For the 2nd derivative series, substitute,
    [itex]n_{a}=n_{b}\: -2[/itex]
    so that all sums have the same initial value.

However, I don't remember, is it ordered on highest degree first or lowest degree first?
    For the cos x series,
    x^(2n), x^(2n-2), or x^0, x^2, x^4?

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4

So if i change the summation index for the second derivative i get....

[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}(n+2)(n+1)c_{n+2}x^{n}[/itex]

and the first power series reamins the same. Also for cosx it is

[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{(-1)^{n}(x)^{2n}}{(2n)!}[/itex]

However, once i get to this stage... do i multiply out the cosx and y"? Or should i simply just take n=0,n=1,n=2...etc. of the cosx and y" and multply those out and compare coefficients to solve for the c's?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  6. Jul 24, 2011 #5

I figured it out. Thank you for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook