1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation dy/dx = 2y-4x

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the differential equation dy/dx = 2y-4x

a. Find the value of b for which y=2x+b is a solution to the given differential equation

b.Let g be the function that satisfies the given differential equation with the initial condition g(0)=0. Does the graph of g have a local extremum at the point (0,0) ? If so, is the point a local maximum or minimum

2. Relevant equations

integration, derivative

3. The attempt at a solution

a. So I choose point (1,0) and plug in y=2x+b and solve for b=1. Then I have y=2x+1. AM I right ? It seems too easy to be right. Is it harder than I thought ?

b. So do I have to integrate ? I found that (0,0) is a critical point. How do I move on ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

For part a) what you need to do is find dy/dx from your given solution and then substitute y in the differential equation and find b. Can you do that?

It would be beneficial to solve the differential equation.

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    a. Got cha.

b. is g(x)= 2x+1 ? Am I right ? It sounds wrong

5. Mar 30, 2009 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Do you know how to solve 1st order DEs of the form
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+P(x) y=Q(x)[/tex]

via an integrating factor?

6. Mar 30, 2009 #5
    Yeah. so is the integrating factor only e^2 ?
    I got the final equation as y=-2x^2. Am I right ?

7. Mar 30, 2009 #6
    Also a question about series:

Given a McLauren series: (2x)^n+1 / (n+1)

(a). Find interval of convergence.

So I used ratio test and found that -1/2 <x<1/2. I am testing the end point. At x=1/2, the series will be 1/(n+1) and at x=-1/2, series is (-1)^n+1 / (n+1). How do I prove whether or not they are divergent or convergent. Does 1/ (n+1) converge to 0 ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook