Differential equation: dy/dx = e^(8x-3y), y(0)=16

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a differential equation and has tried taking the natural log of both sides but is unsure if it is correct. They are asking for assistance and mentioning the use of a relationship to help solve the equation.
Lo.Lee.Ta.
1. The next differential equation I'm working on is this:

dy/dx= e8x - 3y

Alright, I thought to cancel out the e, we could take the ln of both sides...?

ln(dy/dx) = 8x-3y

Is this right so far? It doesn't seem like it's right because... well, how can you have an ln(dy/dx)??

Would you please help me with this part?
Thank you very much! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Lo.Lee.Ta. said:
1. The next differential equation I'm working on is this:

dy/dx= e8x - 3y

Alright, I thought to cancel out the e, we could take the ln of both sides...?

ln(dy/dx) = 8x-3y

Is this right so far? It doesn't seem like it's right because... well, how can you have an ln(dy/dx)??

Would you please help me with this part?
Thank you very much! :)

You can have ln(dy/dx) but there's not much you can do with it. Use e^(a+b)=e^a*e^b to separate the equation.

This relationship will help a lot

ea+b = ea*eb

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that involves an unknown function and one or more of its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. What does dy/dx mean in this equation?

dy/dx represents the derivative of y with respect to x. It shows how the value of y changes with respect to the value of x.

3. How do you solve this differential equation?

This differential equation can be solved by using separation of variables, which involves isolating the variables on opposite sides of the equation and then integrating both sides. In this case, you can rewrite the equation as dy = e^(8x-3y)dx and then integrate both sides to get the general solution.

4. What is the initial condition y(0)=16 used for?

The initial condition is used to find the particular solution to this differential equation. It represents the value of y when x=0, and is used to determine the value of the constant of integration in the general solution.

5. Can this differential equation be solved numerically?

Yes, this differential equation can be solved numerically using various methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. These methods involve using a computer program to approximate the solution by calculating the values of y at specific points along the x-axis.