Differential equation for changing mass of a sphere

In summary, a differential equation for changing mass of a sphere is a mathematical model derived from Newton's second law of motion, which describes the relationship between the change in mass of a sphere and various factors such as time, external forces, and changes in volume. It is typically used in physics and engineering applications to model the behavior of objects with changing mass, and may require numerical methods for solution. It can also be applied in industries involving material processing or mixing.
Hypatio
The mass of a sphere with density as a function of radius is

[itex]M=4\pi \int_0^r\rho(r) r^2dr[/itex]

Lets say the radius increases and decreases as a function of time t. So:

[itex]M(t)=4\pi \int_{0}^{r(t)}\rho (r) r(t)^2dr[/itex]

I want to know the basic equation describing the mass added or removed from the sphere (mass increases when radius increases, mass decreases when radius decreases) as a function of t, starting from any t. The problem is I think I must use a differential form but I'm not sure what it looks like. What then is the differential form of dM(t)/dt? I think I must use a chain rule and write:

[itex]\frac{dM}{dt}=\frac{dM}{dr}\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex]

is this right? How do I proceed to solve this with the integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hypatio said:
The mass of a sphere with density as a function of radius is
[itex]M=4\pi \int_0^r\rho(r) r^2dr[/itex]
[itex]M(t)=4\pi \int_{0}^{r(t)}\rho (r) r(t)^2dr[/itex]

Hi !
I am afraid that there is something wrong in your writting. It should be :
[itex]M=4\pi \int_0^r\rho(u) u^2du[/itex]
[itex]M(t)=4\pi \int_{0}^{r(t)}\rho (u) u^2du[/itex]
You may use any other symbol than u, but not r.

Ah yes, sure, the upper limit is the 'full' radius (r) and u is a radius. This doesn't solve my problem though.

Yes, the chain rule: [itex]\dfrac{dM}{dt}= \dfrac{dM}{dr}\dfrac{dr}{dt}[/itex]
JJaquelines point helps make sense of the dM/dr.

To find [itex]\dfrac{dM}{dt}[/itex] use the "fundamental theorem of Calculus":
[tex]\frac{d}{dr}\int_0^r \rho(u)u^2 du= \rho(r)r^2[/tex]

I guess the solution then is

[itex]\frac{dM}{dt}=\frac{4}{3}\pi \rho(r)r^3\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex]

does the solution change if [itex]\rho(r)[/itex] becomes [itex]\rho(r,t)[/itex] or could I write

[itex]\frac{dM}{dt}=\frac{4}{3}\pi \rho(r,t)r^3\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex]

Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't think so. A term involving the partial derivatine of rho relatively to t is missing into your last equation,

Is there a rule I can apply to get this additional term?

Hypatio said:

If you have
[tex]
F(t) = \int_0^{a(t)} g(r,t)\,\mathrm{d}r
[/tex]
then
[tex]F'(t) = \int_0^{a(t)} \left.\frac{\partial g}{\partial t}\right|_{(r,t)}\,\mathrm{d}r + a'(t)g(a(t),t)[/tex]
assuming [itex]g[/itex] is sufficiently smooth.

Please do not mix together dummy variables in the integrand with integral limits.
Properly speaking, you have the following the relation:
[tex]M(t)=4\pi\int_{0}^{r(t)}\rho(x)x^{2}dx[/tex]
Thus, you have:
[tex]\frac{dM}{dt}=4\pi\rho(r(t))r(t)^{2}\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]
which has as interpretation that only the outermost spherical shell at r(t) determines the total change of mass.

Every compact ball strictly contained within the outermost shell (radii less than r(t)) remains constant in mass.

However:
Suppose you have a ball where at different times, the density at some fixed radius "x" may change as a function of time. Then, you have:
[tex]M(t)=4\pi\int_{0}^{r(t)}\rho(x,t)x^{2}dx[/tex]
In this case, the total mass of the ball will be due to two distinct effects:
1. The ball shrinks or expands. This gives the contribution given above.
2. The interior of the ball may change its mass. This effect is new.

In sum, you'll then get:
[tex]\frac{dM}{dt}=4\pi\rho(r(t),t)r(t)^{2}\frac{dr}{dt}+4\pi\int_{0}^{r(t)}\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial{t}}x^{2}dx[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Hypatio said:
The general formula below shows the rule for derivation :

Attachments

• Derivation rule.JPG
    Derivation rule.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 427
Likes 1 person
Hypatio said:
So the chain rule no longer applies??
Of course, the chain rule continues to applies !
The formula given above is the application of the chain rule in case of an integral with the integrand and limits which are functions of the variable considered for derivation.

1. What is a differential equation for changing mass of a sphere?

A differential equation for changing mass of a sphere is a mathematical model that describes the relationship between the change in mass of a sphere and the variables that affect it, such as time and external forces.

2. How is a differential equation for changing mass of a sphere derived?

A differential equation for changing mass of a sphere is derived through the application of Newton's second law of motion, which states that the change in an object's mass is equal to the sum of the forces acting on it.

3. What factors can affect the mass of a sphere?

The mass of a sphere can be affected by factors such as the density of the material it is made of, any external forces acting on it, and any changes in its volume.

4. Can a differential equation for changing mass of a sphere be solved analytically?

In most cases, a differential equation for changing mass of a sphere cannot be solved analytically, as it involves complex mathematical calculations and may require numerical methods for solution.

5. How is a differential equation for changing mass of a sphere used in real-world applications?

A differential equation for changing mass of a sphere is commonly used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of objects with changing mass, such as rockets or vehicles undergoing fuel consumption. It can also be used in industries that involve material processing or mixing, where changes in mass may occur due to chemical reactions.