1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation I can't solve

1. Sep 1, 2007 #1
    I was solving my own-invented physical problem, and obtained a differential equation
    [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = k \sqrt{t-x^2}[/tex]
    with k positive constant. I wish to solve it. I'm unable perform separation of variables here, and power-series method works poorly, too. I conclude that this equation does not have any closed-form or familiar series solution, so the best thing that I could do is use numerical methods [of an Excel type, but Gnumeric is my choice :)]. It turned out that with k=1, when t=1, x=0,6, exacty. This gives a clue that there might exist some sort of a solution (or it might not be any kind of a clue, I'm just being silly). How do I find it? How do I solve this equation?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

There's no exact solution. I'm assuming you're using a boundary condition of x=0 at t=0. Then, Mathematica's numerical routine NDSolve gives x=0.60635 at t=1.

You can solve it approximately by Taylor series for small t and large t. At small t,
    [tex] x = {{\textstyle{2\over3}}t^{3/2}\left(1-{\textstyle{2\over21}}t^2
    +{\textstyle{10\over2079}}t^4 + \ldots\right) [/tex]
    At large t,
    [tex] x = t^{1/2}\left(1-{\textstyle{1\over8}}t^{-2}
    -{\textstyle{13\over128}}t^{-4} + \ldots\right) [/tex]
    These cross at t=2.354, where they differ from the numerical solution by a worst-case 1%.

This is for k=1. But if [tex]x=f(t)[/tex] solves the equation for k=1, then [tex]x=k^{-1/2}f(kt)[/tex] solves it for general k.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?