• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Differential Equation - Inverse Laplace Transformation

• Thread starter cse63146
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Find the inverse laplace transformation of [tex]\frac{2s^2 +3s - 2}{s(s+1)(s-2)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]L^{-1} \frac{2s^2 +3s - 2}{s(s+1)(s-2)} = L^{-1}\frac{1}{2} + L^{-1}\frac{1}{s+1} +2 L^{-1}\frac{1}{s-2} = 1 - e^{-t} + 2e^{2t}[/tex]

Have I made a mistake somewhere?

and does anyone know where I can find a web site practice problems (preferably with answers so I can check) similiar to this one?

Answers and Replies

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the inverse laplace transformation of [tex]\frac{2s^2 +3s - 2}{s(s+1)(s-2)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]L^{-1} \frac{2s^2 +3s - 2}{s(s+1)(s-2)} = L^{-1}\frac{1}{2} + L^{-1}\frac{1}{s+1} +2 L^{-1}\frac{1}{s-2} = 1 - e^{-t} + 2e^{2t}[/tex]

Have I made a mistake somewhere?

and does anyone know where I can find a web site practice problems (preferably with answers so I can check) similiar to this one?
Assuming that the [itex]\mathcal{L}^{-1}[\frac{1}{2}][/itex] was just a typo, and you meant to write [itex]\mathcal{L}^{-1}[\frac{1}{s}][/itex], then yes, you are correct.

As for practice problems and solutions, a quick Google search came up with http://ece.olin.edu/dynamics/handouts/ogata_ch2_examples_practice.pdf [Broken]. I haven't checked the contents for correctness, but there are several worked problems in there (and I'm sure you can find more yopurself with Google!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I meant to write 1/s.

Thanks for the link.