Differential equation, linear sys. of eq. problem

In summary: The equation \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\ -1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}u_1 \\ u_2\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ -1\end{pmatrix}has the unique solution [itex](u_1, u_2)= (1, 0)[/tex].
usn7564

Homework Statement

Right so I had a standard systems of diff eqs involving repeated eigenvalues. When I find the last vector I have the equation

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1\\
-1 & -1
\end{pmatrix}

\begin{pmatrix}
u_1\\
u_1
\end{pmatrix}

= \begin{pmatrix}
1\\
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]u_1 + u_2 = 1[/tex]

Setting [tex]u_2 = 1 - u_1[/tex]

[tex]\bar{u} = \begin{pmatrix}
u_1\\
1-u_1
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

u_1\\
1-u_1
\end{pmatrix}

=

\begin{pmatrix}
0\\1

\end{pmatrix}

+

\begin{pmatrix}
u_1\\-u_1

\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Where the latter vector corresponds to the first answer I got from solving x' = Ax with only one eigenvalue, so ignoring that.

Now my question, the vector (0,1) might as well have been (1,0) which would have solved the system just as well. But this rather radically affects how my general solution looks.
Would I be correct in saying it doesn't matter if I chose (0,1) or (1,0) because

[tex]\bar{x} = c_1e^{rt}\begin{pmatrix}
1\\-1

\end{pmatrix}

+ c_2 ( te^{rt}

\begin{pmatrix}
1\\-1

\end{pmatrix}
+
e^{rt}\begin{pmatrix}
0\\1

\end{pmatrix}
)[/tex]

Will still span the same "e^(rt) space" depending on c_1 and c_2? Just seems odd that the general solution could be so different. ie the above being equivelant to

1\\-1

\end{pmatrix}

+ c_2 ( te^{rt}

\begin{pmatrix}
1\\-1

\end{pmatrix}
+
e^{rt}\begin{pmatrix}
1\\0

\end{pmatrix}
)[/tex]
?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
usn7564 said:

Homework Statement

Right so I had a standard systems of diff eqs involving repeated eigenvalues. When I find the last vector I have the equation

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1\\
-1 & 1
\end{pmatrix}

\begin{pmatrix}
u_1\\
u_1
\end{pmatrix}

= \begin{pmatrix}
1\\
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
You mean
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}u_1\\ u_2\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
right?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]u_1 + u_2 = 1[/tex]

Setting [tex]u_2 = 1 - u_1[/tex]

u_1\\
1-u_1
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

u_1\\
1-u_1
\end{pmatrix}

=

\begin{pmatrix}
0\\1

\end{pmatrix}

+

\begin{pmatrix}
u_1\\-u_1

\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Where the latter vector corresponds to the first answer so ignoring that.
I have no idea what you are doing here! Yes, it is true that [tex]u_2= 1- u_1[/tex].
But that because [tex]u_1= 1[/tex] and [tex]u_2= 0[/tex]!

Now my question, the vector (0,1) might as well have been (1,0) which would have solved the system just as well.
No, it doesn't. If your vector is (0, 1), that is if [tex]u_1= 0[/tex] and [tex]u_2= 1[/tex], the first equation, [tex]u_1+ u_2= 1[/tex] (which is the only one you have looked at so far) but your second equation,n [tex]-u_1+ u_2= -1[/tex] would NOT be satisfied: -0+ 1= 1, not -1.

But this rather radically affects how my general solution looks.
What "general solution"? The equation
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\ -1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}u_1 \\ u_2\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ -1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
has the unique solution [itex](u_1, u_2)= (1, 0)[/tex]. There is NO "general solution".

Would I be correct in saying it doesn't matter if I chose (0,1) or (1,0) because

1\\-1

\end{pmatrix}

+ c_2 ( te^{rt}

\begin{pmatrix}
1\\-1

\end{pmatrix}
+
e^{rt}\begin{pmatrix}
0\\1

\end{pmatrix}
)[/tex]

Will still span the same "e^(rt) space" depending on c_1 and c_2? Just seems odd that the general solution could be so different. ie the above being equivelant to

1\\-1

\end{pmatrix}

+ c_2 ( te^{rt}

\begin{pmatrix}
1\\-1

\end{pmatrix}
+
e^{rt}\begin{pmatrix}
1\\0

\end{pmatrix}
)[/tex]
?

Christ, no matter how many times I look it over longer latex statements get mistakes. Sorry, corrected the matrix now. I'm referring to the general solution of the differential equation I started with which I didn't detail as everything but the u vector was correct in my solution.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to describe how a system changes over time, and is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields of science.

2. What is a linear system of equations?

A linear system of equations is a set of two or more equations that can be written in the form of Ax = b, where A is a matrix of constants, x is a vector of variables, and b is a vector of constants. The solution to the system is the set of values for x that satisfies all of the equations.

3. How are differential equations and linear systems of equations related?

Differential equations can be written in the form of a linear system of equations by using the method of elimination. This allows for a more organized and systematic approach to solving the equations and finding the solution.

4. What are some applications of differential equations and linear systems of equations?

Differential equations and linear systems of equations are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, biology, chemistry, economics, and more. They are used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

5. What methods are used to solve differential equations and linear systems of equations?

There are several methods for solving differential equations and linear systems of equations, including substitution, elimination, and matrix operations. Additionally, numerical methods such as Euler's method and the Runge-Kutta method can be used to approximate solutions. Advanced techniques such as Laplace transforms and Fourier series are also commonly used.