Differential Equation mixing problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the percentage of alcohol in a vat with 500 gallons of beer after an hour, given that beer with 6% alcohol is pumped in at a rate of 5 gal/min and the mixture is pumped out at the same rate. The solution involves setting up a differential equation and using the initial condition of 4% alcohol (by volume). After solving for A, the percentage of alcohol is found to be 4.9%.
jordan123
Differential Equation mixing problem!

Homework Statement

A vat with 500 gallons of beer contains 4% alcohol (by volume). Beer with 6% alcohol is pumped into the vat at a rate of 5 gal/min and the mixture is pumped out at the same rate. What is the percentage of alcohol after an hour?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I've been doing.

dA/dt = inflow - out flow
= (.06)(5) - (A/500)(5)
= .3 - (A/100)
= (30 - A)/100

etc but I feel I must be setting it up wrong or something ?? But it never gets the correct answer which is.

4.9%

If anyone can point out what's up that would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution never uses the "4% alcohol (by volume)." initial condition. Doesn't that make you feel uncomfortable? Must it not make a difference? If the initial value were 6% then nothing would ever change.

Dick said:
Your solution never uses the "4% alcohol (by volume)." initial condition. Doesn't that make you feel uncomfortable? Must it not make a difference? If the initial value were 6% then nothing would ever change.

Well yes, id use the initial condition after I have done the differential equation.

So,

-ln |30 - A | = t/100 + C

then put in initial condition. Solve for c = -ln10 (because 4% of 500 is 20)

No? Its not working for me, eeek

It looks like it's working fine to me. Now solve for A. Why do you think it's not working? Show the rest. What are you putting in for t? What are you getting for A? What's that in terms of percentages?

make sure when you do e^(-ln|30-A|) you get 1/(30-A), everything else is right

What is a Differential Equation mixing problem?

A Differential Equation mixing problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of a quantity over time, while taking into account how the quantity is being affected by another quantity that is changing. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to model real-world situations.

What are the key components of a Differential Equation mixing problem?

The key components of a Differential Equation mixing problem are the variables, constants, and functions that represent the quantities and their rates of change. These are typically represented by symbols such as x, y, t, and k. The problem also includes the relationship between these components, which is described by the differential equation.

What is the purpose of solving a Differential Equation mixing problem?

The purpose of solving a Differential Equation mixing problem is to understand and predict how a quantity will change over time, taking into account how it is being affected by another quantity. This allows us to make informed decisions and develop strategies in various fields, such as optimizing chemical reactions or designing efficient systems.

What are some common methods for solving Differential Equation mixing problems?

Some common methods for solving Differential Equation mixing problems include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for solving certain types of equations (e.g. Bernoulli's equation). Other techniques, such as Laplace transforms and numerical methods, may also be used depending on the complexity of the problem.

What real-world applications use Differential Equation mixing problems?

Differential Equation mixing problems have many real-world applications, such as modeling population growth, predicting the spread of diseases, and designing chemical reactions. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and environmental science to understand and analyze complex systems.