1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation: Mixing Problem

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The air in a small room 12x8x8 ft (768 ft^3 is the volume) is 3% carbon monoxide. Starting at t=0, fresh air containing no carbon monoxide is blown into the root at rate of 100 ft^3/min. If the air in the room flows out at same rate (100 ft^3/min), when will air in room be 0.01%?

2. Relevant equations

s'(t) = (rate entering)(concentration entering) - (rate exiting)(concentration exiting)

concentration = amount/volume

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't need you to solve the problem for me, but I am having trouble getting started and figuring out what the concentration is.

s'(t) = (rate entering)(concentration entering) - (rate exiting)(concentration exiting)
    s'(t) = (100)(?) - (100)(?)

concentration = amount/volume
    Since it said at time t=0, fresh air containing *NO* carbon monoxide..., will the concentration entering be 0?
    And for the concentration exiting, will it be s(t)/768?

so the s'(t) is: 0 - 100s(t)/768

Is this correct?

I am contemplating about the 3% carbon monoxide, could this be the concentration entering??

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. But notice that it does NOT say "at time t= 0"- the problem says "starting at time t= 0". There is fresh air containing NO carbon monoxide entering the room for all positive t.

Well, that would depend upon what "s(t)" means- and you didn't tell us that!

If s(t) is the amount of carbon monoxide in the room at time t, then the concentration will be s(t)/768 per cubic foot. But s'= ds/dt is amount of carbon monoxide per minute. Since air is flowing out at 100 ft^3/min, it carries with it (s(t)/768 carbon monoxide/ft^3)(100 ft^2/min) carbon monoxide per minute.
    so the s'(t) is: 0 - 100s(t)/768

No, it is the initial value: If s(t) is the amount of carbon monoxide in the room then s(0)= .03(768).

I cannot comment on what

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook