Differential equation question (HELP)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a non-homogenous higher order differential equation with initial conditions using the characteristic polynomial and existence and uniqueness theorem. The solution involves finding the roots of the polynomial, using a particular solution, and fitting constants to satisfy the initial conditions.
Mathman23
Hi

Given the non-homogenous higher order differential equation

[tex]u'' - 2 u' - 8 u = 6 - 8t[/tex]

with the intial conditions u(1) = 0 and u'(1) = 1.

Find the solution.

I'm told by my professor that I'm supposed to use the fact

[tex]{u''} + {a_1} u' + {a_0} u = f [/tex]
The characteristic polynomial for this differential equation is supposedly

[tex]z^2 + {a_1} z + {a_0} z = 0[/tex]

Using this fact I find root of the polynomial of the differential equation above to be [tex]\lambda _{1,2} = 4,-2[/tex]

The I'm suppose to use the fact that (Existence and Uniqueness theorem of Non-liniear differential equations) if [tex]\lambda {_1} \neq \lambda {_2}[/tex]

[tex]u_0 (t) : = \int \limit_{t_0} ^t \frac{e^{\lambda_1 (t-s)} - e^{\lambda_2 (t-s)}}{\lambda_1 - \lambda_2} f(s) ds[/tex]

[tex]t \in I[/tex]

My solution.

Since lambda 1 and lambda 2 er different then there exist a unique partiqular solution in the form:

[tex]u(t) = C_1 e^{6-8t} + C_2 e^{-8} = 0[/tex]

By inserting part 1 of the condition into the above, I get that C_1 = C_2 = 0.

initial condition 1 = true.

I differentiate u(t) and get [tex]u'(t) = -8 e^{-2} C_1 = 1[/tex]

here I get that [tex]C_1 = \frac{1}{-8{e^{-2}}} = \frac{-e^2}{8}[/tex] and this proves that u'(1) = 1

Am I on the right track here now?

Sincerley Yours
Fred

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That would be the solution of the associated HOMOGENOUS problem (i.e, when f=0).
In addition to that, you need a particular solution of your diff. eq, try with the trial function at+b, where a, b are constants to be determined

Please look at my corrected solution above. Am I on the right track?

Sincerely
Fred

Your u(t) is NOT a solution of your original diff eq; it is part of it!

arildno said:
Your u(t) is NOT a solution of your original diff eq; it is part of it!

Okay the I not sure but then full solution is

u(t) = C_1 e^{6-8t} + C_2 e^{-8} = 6 - 8t ??

Sincerley

Fred

No, insert in your diff. eq. the trial function:
[tex]u(t)=C_{1}e^{\lambda_{1}t}+C_{2}e^{\lambda_{2}t}+at+b[/tex]
What equations do you see that "a" and "b" must fulfill in order for u(t) to be a solution?

arildno said:
No, insert in your diff. eq. the trial function:
[tex]u(t)=C_{1}e^{\lambda_{1}t}+C_{2}e^{\lambda_{2}t}+at+b[/tex]
What equations do you see that "a" and "b" must fulfill in order for u(t) to be a solution?

a and b must have such values that the solution is equal to the original differential equation ?

/Fred

Almost:
a and b must have such values that the trial function is a SOLUTION of the original differential equation.

by inserting a trail equation u(t) = at^2 + b

I get a = 0 and b = 2.

Does that sound right?

Sincerely Fred

No, you should insert at+b:
the second derivative of this is zero, so you end up with the equation for a, b:
[tex]-2a-8(at+b)=6-8t[/tex]
Thus, we get a=1 to match the first power in t, and to zeroth order in t, we're left with:
-2*1-8b=6, that is b=-1

Okay then the solution is

[tex]u(t)=C_{1}e^{\lambda_{1}t}+C_{2}e^{\lambda_{2}t}+ t - 1[/tex]

But what about the lambda values could you give me a hint on how til determain them?

Sincerely

Fred

Well, you have already found them as the solutions of the characteristic equation!
Surely you have seen this type of exercises before?

Yes of course, I have had the flue this last week, so I have been under the weather ;)

Just to recap lambda values are found as the solution of

u(t) = z(t)^2 - 2 z(t) - 8 = 0 ?

Sincerely Fred.

p.s. Talking about existence and uniquness. The exist only one solution for the differential equation. Since the solution polynomial for diff. equation is unique ?

Yes.
You now find the the UNIQUE solution of the whole initial value problem by fitting the C's so that the initial conditions are satisfied.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an unknown function and its derivatives (rates of change). It is used to model many natural phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay.

How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various techniques for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, integrating factors, and series solutions.

What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a first-order differential equation would have a first derivative, while a second-order differential equation would have a second derivative.

What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable and derivatives with respect to that variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables and partial derivatives with respect to each variable. In other words, partial differential equations are used to model systems that vary in space and time.

Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they are used to model and understand many natural phenomena in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They also have practical applications in solving real-world problems, such as predicting the spread of diseases and designing efficient systems.