Differential Equation (Very peculiar initial condition)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the differential equation dy/dt = y^3 with the initial condition y(0) = 0. The attempt at a solution involves taking the integral and finding the value of y, but it is noted that this equation does not support the initial condition. Further discussion explores the possibility of y=0 being a solution to the equation.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Solve: [itex]dy/dy = y^3[/itex] given the initial condition y(0)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\int \frac{dy}{y^3} = \int dt[/itex]
[itex]\frac{-1}{2y^2} = t + c[/itex]
[itex]y^2 = \frac{-1}{2(t+c)}[/itex]
[itex]y = ± \sqrt{ \frac{1}{2(-t-c)}}[/itex]

This equation isn't going to support the initial condition, so can someone tell me where I've gone wrong in calculating the integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=y^3,\quad y(0)=0[/tex]

so immediately I want to divide out by [itex]y^3[/itex]. But I can do that only if [itex]y\neq 0[/itex]. Poke-a-poke then. However, if [itex]y=0[/itex], then I can't. But if y=0, then what?

So if y'=y^3 = 0, then clearly y=0, and it is the constant zero, which makes sense since such a function has y'=0 as well.

I think you can say that a little better: if y=0, then [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=0[/itex] so that [itex]y=k[/itex] is a solution to the DE so that the solution to the IVP:

[tex]y'=y^3,\quad y(0)=0[/tex]

is y=0.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is an initial condition in a differential equation?

An initial condition is a set of values that specify the starting point of a differential equation. It represents the state of the system at a particular point in time and is used to find a unique solution to the equation.

3. What makes an initial condition "peculiar" in a differential equation?

A peculiar initial condition is one that is not common or does not fit the typical pattern of initial conditions in a given differential equation. This means that it may require a different approach or technique to find a solution compared to regular initial conditions.

4. How do you solve a differential equation with a very peculiar initial condition?

Solving a differential equation with a very peculiar initial condition may require advanced mathematical techniques such as Laplace transforms, power series, or numerical methods. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and the given initial condition to determine the best approach for finding a solution.

5. Why are initial conditions important in differential equations?

Initial conditions are important because they provide the starting point for finding a unique solution to a differential equation. Without them, the equation would have an infinite number of solutions, making it impossible to predict the behavior of a system over time.