1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation with Noise term

1. Oct 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex] (\partial_t - A\nabla^2 + B)f(x) = \eta(x, t) [/tex]
    So I have a homogeneous linear differential equation except for an added noise term ##\eta(t) ##. The noise is uncorrelated between times and has a Gaussian distribution with zero mean. That is we have Gaussian white noise.

The problem is to calculate the time dependence of f(x,t) and also the time dependence of ##\left| F(k, t)\right|^2 ##, where F(k, t) is the Fourier transform of f(x, t).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If I know the specific function for the noise, I can solve using the Green's function - but I do not know ##\eta(t) ##.
    What can I say about the behavior of the solution? If you like, the noise starts at t=0, and we are interested in some kind of transient response I suppose. I began to proceed with solving the Green's function in Fourier space (that is x -> k, but t remained unchanged) but I am not sure what to do next.

I am wishing I knew or remember more I guess.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Oct 22, 2014 #3
    This is actually for a different course, we haven't been taught at all about random processes. However, years ago when I was getting my bachelors as an engineer I learned a little bit. I'd like to be able to do a nice job with this but I don't have time for a huge amount of extra learning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted