Differential Equation with Summation

Regardless, thanks for your help!In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation with a forcing function represented by u_{k\pi}(t), which is defined as the indicator function for the unit step function. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of this notation and the potential ambiguity it can cause. Finally, the conversation concludes with a discussion on graphing the forcing function and solution on the same set of coordinates.
jrcdude

Homework Statement

[tex]y''+0.1y'+y=1+2\sum_{k=1}^{n}(-1)^{k}u_{k\pi}(t)[/tex]
and quiescent initial conditions.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex](s^{2}+0.1s+1)Y(s)=\mathcal{L}\{1\}+2\sum_{k=1}^{n}(-1)^{k}\mathcal{L}\big\{ u_{k\pi}(t)\big\}[/tex]

I'm not sure if this step was correct, and how to proceed since the result of that is quite nasty.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jrcdude said:

Homework Statement

[tex]y''+0.1y'+y=1+2\sum_{k=1}^{n}(-1)^{k}u_{k\pi}(t)[/tex]
and quiescent initial conditions.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex](s^{2}+0.1s+1)Y(s)=\mathcal{L}\{1\}+2\sum_{k=1}^{n}(-1)^{k}\mathcal{L}\big\{ u_{k\pi}(t)\big\}[/tex]

I'm not sure if this step was correct, and how to proceed since the result of that is quite nasty.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

We aren't mind readers here. What is ## u_{k\pi}(t)##? And what do you get for the transform of the right side?

I'm sorry, I thought it was common notation that [itex]u_{k\pi}(t)[/itex] is the indicator function denoting the unit step function:
[tex]u_{k\pi}(t)=u_{k}(t)-u_{\pi}(t)=\begin{cases}
0, & t<k\quad\text{or}\quad t\ge\pi\\
1, & k\le t<\pi
\end{cases}
[/tex]
As for what I got for the Laplace transform of the right, it is:
[tex]
\frac{1}{s}+2\sum_{k=1}^{n}(-1)^{k}\cdot\frac{e^{-ks}-e^{-\pi s}}{s}
[/tex]

jrcdude said:
I'm sorry, I thought it was common notation that [itex]u_{k\pi}(t)[/itex] is the indicator function denoting the unit step function:
[tex]u_{k\pi}(t)=u_{k}(t)-u_{\pi}(t)=\begin{cases}
0, & t<k\quad\text{or}\quad t\ge\pi\\
1, & k\le t<\pi
\end{cases}
[/tex]
As for what I got for the Laplace transform of the right, it is:
[tex]
\frac{1}{s}+2\sum_{k=1}^{n}(-1)^{k}\cdot\frac{e^{-ks}-e^{-\pi s}}{s}
[/tex]

For example, if ##k=5## your definition says ##u_{5\pi} = 0\hbox{ if } t<5\hbox{ or }t>\pi##, which is identically zero. Same for any ##k\ge 4##. Something looks fishy to me.

Courtesy of Brannan,
oiKJC.png

The only other possibility is that [itex]c=k\pi[/itex].

Edit: Yes I think that's actually the problem faced here.. I believe it works if I let
[tex]u_{k\pi}(t)=u(t-k\pi)[/tex]

Last edited:
jrcdude said:
Courtesy of Brannan,
oiKJC.png

The only other possibility is that [itex]c=k\pi[/itex].Edit: Yes I think that's actually the problem faced here.. I believe it works if I let
[tex]u_{k\pi}(t)=u(t-k\pi)[/tex]

It shows what a horrible notation that subscripted u is. If you just write u(t-c) when you want it, there is no ambiguity. So apparently you are saying your equation is$$
y''+0.1y'+y=1+2\sum_{k=1}^{n}(-1)^{k}u(t-k\pi)$$Is that correct? And when you say "it works", do you mean you see how to finish the question?

Yes, that subscript notation is definitely horrible as it caused me a lot of grief haha.

And yes, by "it works" I meant I solved the DE resulting in the solution of,

[tex]
y(t)=h(t)+2\sum_{k=1}^{n}(-1)^{k}h(t-k\pi)
[/tex]

where
[tex]
h(t)=1-e^{-0.05t}\cos(\sqrt{0.9975}t)-\frac{0.05e^{-0.05t}}{\sqrt{0.9975}}\sin(\sqrt{0.9975}t)
[/tex]

Thanks for the 'indirect' help!

Last edited:
jrcdude said:
Yes, that subscript notation is definitely horrible as it caused me a lot of grief haha.

And yes, by "it works" I meant I solved the DE resulting in the solution of,

[tex]
y(t)=h(t)+2\sum_{k=1}^{n}(-1)^{k}h(t-k\pi)
[/tex]

where
[tex]
1-e^{-0.05t}\cos(\sqrt{0.9975}t)-\frac{0.05e^{-0.05t}}{\sqrt{0.9975}}\sin(\sqrt{0.9975}t)
[/tex]

Thanks for the 'indirect' help!

Is that your solution for a particular value of ##n##? Otherwise wouldn't your solution depend on ##n##? Out of curiosity have you graphed your forcing function and solution? What you have is a system being driven for a few cycles by a square wave whose frequency is very near the natural frequency of the system.

[Edit]Never mind about the n. I see where it is now.

The next part of the question was actually to graph the forcing function and solution on the same set of coordinates. So you are interpreting it correctly.

jrcdude said:
The next part of the question was actually to graph the forcing function and solution on the same set of coordinates. So you are interpreting it correctly.

OK. Have fun with it. I let Maple do the grunt work to look at the graphs. It's a nice example.

Yeah, we too let Maple do the grunt work. Funny thing is Maple was developed at my university so they push us to use it.

1. What is a differential equation with summation?

A differential equation with summation is a type of differential equation that involves a sum of terms, rather than just a single term. These types of equations are commonly used in mathematical modeling and can be used to describe a wide range of physical phenomena.

2. How is a differential equation with summation different from a regular differential equation?

A regular differential equation involves only a single term, while a differential equation with summation involves a sum of terms. This makes the solution to the equation more complex and often requires more advanced mathematical techniques.

3. What are some real-world applications of differential equations with summation?

Differential equations with summation are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model population growth, heat transfer, electrical circuits, and many other phenomena.

4. How do you solve a differential equation with summation?

Solving a differential equation with summation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can often be done by using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration.

5. Can differential equations with summation be solved analytically?

In some cases, differential equations with summation can be solved analytically, meaning that a closed-form solution can be found. However, in many cases, numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution due to the complexity of the equations.