Differential equation y''-a(y'^2)-b(siny-a*cosy)=0

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a differential equation with constants a and b. The equation is classified and different methods are considered before the individual asks for help in solving it. One method is suggested, but the conversation also delves into an interesting application of that method. Eventually, the professor admits to needing some coffee and jokes about university professors not making mistakes.
mst_ab
solve this differential equation:

y''-a(y'^2)-b(siny-a*cosy)=0

(a&b are cte.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming that "cte." means constants?

The first step is to classify the differential equation: Is it ordinary? Is it linear? Is it homogeneous?

Once you classify it, think of which methods you know that can be used to solve this type of DE. Which methods come to mind in this case?

a&b are constant,
i found the way of solving this !:

v=y'
=> y''=v(dv/dy)

after solving, i get this equation:

y'^2=(-0.82b*cosy-0.9b*siny)/1.36

(a=0.3)

I'm not noob! I'm professor of university!

please help me to solve this!:
y'^2=(-0.82b*cosy-0.9b*siny)/1.36

Umm...if y is function of x, then y''=v(dv/dx) not vdv/dy...What variable(s) is y actually a function of here?

gabbagabbahey said:
Umm...if y is function of x, then y''=v(dv/dx) not vdv/dy...What variable(s) is y actually a function of here?

No, gabbagabbahey, that is a perfectly valid method. If v= dy/dx, then
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}= \frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]
NOT "v(dv/dx)" and, by the chain rule,
[tex]= \frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dv/dy}= v\frac{dv}{dy}[/tex]

That's a method called "quadrature" and is often used where the independent variable does not appear explicitely in the equation.

Unfortunately, once you have solved for v as a function of y, the integral for y as a function of x tends to be wicked! Often leading to an "elliptic integral" which I suspect is the case here.

Oops, yes, I think I need some coffee :redface:

By the way, here's an interesting application of "quadrature". Suppose you have a particle moving, on the real number line, under the influence of a force that depends only on position x and not t.

The equation of motion, "force= mass times acceleration", is
[tex]m \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}= f(x)[/tex]
where f(x) is the force function. Since t does not appear explicitely (the equation is "autonomous") we can let v= dx/dt and, as before, the equation becomes
[tex]mv\frac{dv}{dt}= f(x)[/tex]
a separable equation. Write it as mv dv= f(x)dx and integrate both sides:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2= \int f(x)dx+ C[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2- \int f(x)dx= C[/tex]

Do you see that that is "conservation of energy"? [itex](1/2)mv^2[/itex] is the kinetic energy and [itex]-\int f(x)dx[/itex] is the potential energy.

?
y'=v=>(dy/dx)=v *
y''=dv/dx=(dv/dx)(dy/dx)=v(dv/dy) =_*_=> y"=v(dv/dy)

gabbagabbahey said:
Oops, yes, I think I need some coffee :redface:

Hey, he said he was a University Professor and Universtiy Professors NEVER make mistakes!

HallsofIvy said:
Hey, he said he was a University Professor and Universtiy Professors NEVER make mistakes!

Of course not, but apparently they do get "homework" :wink: :rolleyes:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that involves one or more derivatives of an unknown function. It is used to describe relationships between a function and its derivatives.

2. What is the general solution to the given differential equation?

The general solution to the given differential equation is y(x) = C, where C is a constant. This means that any function in the form of y(x) = C will satisfy the given differential equation.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

Solving a differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done through various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using specific techniques for different types of differential equations.

4. What are the initial conditions for this specific differential equation?

The initial conditions for a differential equation refer to the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point. Without these initial conditions, it is not possible to find a unique solution to the equation.

5. Can this differential equation be solved analytically?

Yes, this differential equation can be solved analytically using various techniques. However, in some cases, it may not be possible to find a closed-form solution and numerical methods may be used instead.