1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations and geometric series

1. Sep 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I Have a differential equation y'' -xy'-y=0 and I must solve it by means of a power series and find the general term. I actually solved the most of it but I have problem to decide it in term of a ∑ notation!

2. Relevant equations
    y'' -xy'-y=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the recurrence relation is an+2= an / (n+2)
    ´for the first solution y1 I choose even numbers for n and for the second solution y2 I choose odd numbers
    Even numbers:
    n=0 → a2= a0 / (0+2) , n=2 → a4= a0 / (2*2*2)
    n=4 → a6= a0 / (6*2*2*2)

Odd numbers:
    n=1 → a3= a1 / (3) , n=3 → a5= a1 / (5*3)
    n=5 → a7= a1 / (7*5*3)

For even numbers I see that it's not so hard to find : y1 = ∑(x2n/2n*n!)
    But I have problem with y2, I tried many times to find a solution but I faild! I see just in the answer
    y2 is : ∑(2n*n!*x2n+1/(2n+1)!)

As I said I can solve this diff equation but I can't find the general solution for y2 in term of a ∑, What kind of algorithm must I use to get ∑(2n*n!*x2n+1/(2n+1)!) ?!
    Is ∑(2n*n!*x2n+1/(2n+1)!) the only solution for y2 or can we find a similar series which reaches the same result?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2016 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at an example in your denominator: ##3~5~7~9~11~13~15## multiplied together. Now lets insert some evens:
    ##2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~24~13~14~15~16## to make the denominator a factorial. Each term we have inserted has a factor of ##2##:
    ##(2*1)(2*2)(2*3)(2*4)(2*5)(2*6)(2*7)(2*8)##. Do you see that you have added a factorial and a power of ##2##? So we need to put cancelling terms in the numerator. That's the idea. You just need to make sure the indexes are right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted