1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations: Finding general solution problem

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the general solution of (D^4 - I)^2(D^2 - 4D + 13I)^2(y) = 0

2. The attempt at a solution

My issue with this problem is that I have no clue as to what the I's mean. I have become familiar with D being used notationally with differential equations, but the introduction of the I's is totally foreign to me, and my professor has never even addressed them. Am I supposed to assume the I's are simply a constant, or am I totally missing something here?

I can break the problem down to the following, though:
    [(D^2 + sqrt(I))(D + sqrt(I))(D - sqrt(I))]^2 * [D^2 - 4D +13I]^2 * y = 0

From here, am I supposed to proceed "as usual" with solving the equation... or do the I's have some significance? It seems very possible to solve w/ I's being a constant, but absolutely brutal to actually find the gen. solution for :/

Thank you for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I is usually used for the identity operator: I f = f.
    So for example, solving
    (D^2 - 3 I) = 0
    would mean: find all functions such that
    [tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2} f(x) - 3 f(x) = 0[/tex].

Also used is "id", a 1 with a hat, or a double struck 1.
    Physicists tend to leave out the I altogether, and write
    (D^2 - 3) = 0
    for the above equation.

4. Dec 14, 2008 #3
    OK, thank you. So... to clarify, I can essentially ignore the I and just work with the I's coefficient as a constant, correct?

5. Dec 15, 2008 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Essentially, yes.
    Note however, that I is an operator, just like D is, so you cannot really write sqrt(I) any more than you can sqrt(D). You can use that I^n = I though, for any (integer) n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?