Differential Equations for Water Flow

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a conical tank with a circular orifice, where water flows at a certain rate. The problem involves using Modified Euler's Method to calculate the water level after a certain amount of time. The conversation also touches on finding the volume and area of the tank at a certain point and using similar triangles to find the radius.
coolxal

Homework Statement

Water flows from a conical tank with circular orifice at the rate

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = -0.6*\pi*r^2\sqrt{2g}\frac{\sqrt{x}}{A(x)}[/tex]

r is the radius of the orifice, x is the height of the liquid from the vertex of cone, A(x) is area of the cross section of the tank x units above the orifice. Suppose r = 0.1 ft, g = 32.1 ft/s, tank has initial water level of 8ft and initial volume of 512*(pi/3). Computer water level after 10 min with h = 20s.

Homework Equations

Modified Euler's Method:

[tex]w_{0} = \alpha[/tex]
[tex]w_{i+1} = w_{i} + \frac{h}{2}[f(t_{i}, w_{i}) + f(t_{i+1}, w_{i} + hf(t_{i}, w_{i}))][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Is A(8) = (512*(pi/3))/(8/3) = 201.0619?

What do I set for y and t? If the question was f(y, t) = y' = -y + t + 1, 0 <= t <= 1, y(0) = 1, h is the step size, [tex]w_{0} = \alpha = y(0)[/tex] is the initial condition, t is variable between 0 to 1 with step size h, ...

But if I input all those numbers into the equation I get dx/dt = -0.6*pi*0.1^2*sqrt(2*32.1)*sqrt(x)/201.0619 which leaves me with just x. I assume x = t in this case but what is y? How do I get it into the form f(y, t)?

Physics news on Phys.org
first you need to find A(x) as function of x, not just evaulate it at a point

V = (1/3)*A(x)*x
A(x) = (512*(pi/3))/(x/3)

Is that right?

coolxal said:
V = (1/3)*A(x)*x
A(x) = (512*(pi/3))/(x/3)

Is that right?

not quite, the first line is true, but in the 2nd line you actually subsititute for x = 8ft

so to move forwards you know that at x = 8ft
V = 512*(pi/3)

use that to solve for the radius of the cone base at the point x = 8ft
r(8)

as the triangles are similar you can then use the fact
[tex]\frac{r(x)}{x} = \frac{r(8)}{8} [/tex]
to find r(x) and so A(x)

it probably helpful to know the volume of a cone
[tex] V(x) = \frac{\pi}{3} r^2 x [/tex]
x = height
r = radius of cone base

lanedance said:
not quite, the first line is true, but in the 2nd line you actually subsititute for x = 8ft

so to move forwards you know that at x = 8ft
V = 512*(pi/3)

use that to solve for the radius of the cone base at the point x = 8ft
r(8)

as the triangles are similar you can then use the fact
[tex]\frac{r(x)}{x} = \frac{r(8)}{8} [/tex]
to find r(x) and so A(x)

it probably helpful to know the volume of a cone
[tex] V(x) = \frac{\pi}{3} r^2 x [/tex]
x = height
r = radius of cone base

I used the formula V = (1/3)*B*h where B = A(x) the area and h = x the height so shouldn't A(x) = (512*(pi/3))/(x/3)?

So if [tex]r(x) = \frac{r(8)}{8} x [/tex] and

substitute it for r in [tex] V(x) = \frac{\pi}{3} r^2 x [/tex] it's

[tex] V(x) = \frac{\pi}{3} (\frac{r(8)}{8} x)^2 x [/tex]

[tex] V(8) = \frac{\pi}{3} (\frac{r(8)}{8} 8)^2 8 [/tex]

[tex] 512\frac{\pi}{3} = \frac{\pi}{3} (\frac{r(8)}{8} 8)^2 8 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{512}{8} = (r(8))^2[/tex]

[tex] 8 = r(8)[/tex]

What do I do with it?

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It describes how the value of a function changes in relation to its input variables.

2. How are differential equations used in studying water flow?

Differential equations are used to model and analyze the behavior of water flow in various systems, such as pipes, rivers, and oceans. They help us understand the relationships between variables such as flow rate, pressure, and velocity.

3. What are some common types of differential equations used in studying water flow?

The most common types of differential equations used in studying water flow are the Bernoulli equation, the continuity equation, and the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations take into account factors such as fluid viscosity, pressure, and velocity to describe the behavior of water flow.

4. Can differential equations accurately predict water flow in real-world systems?

While differential equations provide a powerful tool for analyzing water flow, they are not always able to accurately predict the behavior of real-world systems. This is because they may not account for all factors and variables that can affect water flow, such as turbulence and external forces.

5. How are differential equations solved for water flow problems?

Differential equations for water flow can be solved analytically using mathematical methods such as separation of variables or by using numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods. These solutions can then be used to make predictions about the behavior of water flow in a given system.