1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations - harmonic motion

1. Feb 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A mass of 5 kilograms dangles from a spring, stretching the spring centimeters when in equilibrium.
    The mass oscillates vertically in a fluid, with a frictional force times its speed.
    If initially it starts from rest at an extension below the equilibrium point of centimeters, describe the subsequent motion, with a plot of the extension against time and with a phase space plot.

2. Relevant equations

I looked through my book, but my first problem is that I can't figure out if it is Simple Harmonic Motion, or Forced Harmonic Motion. I don't see any specific equations for this that involves all of the variables I have.

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Write the eqn of motion first. Take the downward direction as positive.

The weight mg acts downward, the buoyant force B acts upward, the frictional force bv acts opp to the velo, where b is a constant, and k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from the equilibrium posn.

ma = mg - B - bv - kx =>
    md^2x/dt^2 = mg - B - bdx/dt - kx.

Sub in the values of the constants. This is damped harmonic oscillation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?