Differential Equations in Chemistry

In summary, the speaker is a mechanical engineering student working on a senior design project involving the automation of electrolyte chemistry correction. They are struggling with applying a "transient control analysis" and creating transfer functions using available chemical equations in differential form. They are looking for suggestions or resources on how to find these equations, and have listed the correcting reagents as distilled water, HCL, NH3, and salts.
EngInTraining
Hello,

I'm a mechanical engineering student working on my senior design project. It involves the automated correction of an electrolyte's chemistry. That being the pH, conductance, and zinc concentration.

One of the tasks is to apply a "transient control analysis". This involves creating transfer functions to predict the response of an input (for example, X moles of HCL). My problem is figuring out how to do this with the chemical equations available. The equations in a transfer function (which is simply the Laplace of a differential equation) needs to be in differential form.

Does anyone have an idea of what or where I can find these differential equations? For now, the correcting reagents are:

1. Distilled Water
2. HCL
3. NH3
4. Salts (maybe)

If you need more information, I will do the best I can.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are you trying to do something like:

X HCL + W compound1 -> Y compound2 + Z compound3

Perhaps some more information on the chemical equations you're specifically trying to work with would help.

1. What are differential equations in chemistry?

Differential equations in chemistry are mathematical expressions that describe the rate of change of a chemical reaction over time. They are used to model and predict the behavior of chemical reactions and systems.

2. Why are differential equations important in chemistry?

Differential equations are important in chemistry because they provide a quantitative and predictive understanding of chemical reactions and systems. They allow for the calculation of reaction rates and concentrations, which are essential in studying and analyzing chemical processes.

3. What are some real-life applications of differential equations in chemistry?

Differential equations in chemistry have a wide range of applications, including studying reaction kinetics, understanding enzyme reactions, predicting concentrations of reactants and products, and analyzing electrochemical processes.

4. How are differential equations used to solve chemical problems?

Differential equations are solved by using mathematical techniques and software programs to find the exact or approximate solutions. These solutions can then be used to understand and predict the behavior of chemical reactions and systems.

5. What are the key concepts involved in solving differential equations in chemistry?

The key concepts involved in solving differential equations in chemistry include understanding the order and type of the equation, initial conditions, and boundary conditions. It is also important to have a good understanding of mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and numerical methods.