Differential Equations in engineering

In summary, Edwin Gordillo said that he is a second semester student who was asked by his teacher to ask some engineers and scientists about three problems in which differential equations are used. He said that he needs to solve them himself and he wants the help of the community. He listed a few problems he is able to solve but he said that using power series is a more extensive process and he doesn't have as much time. He also listed a link that helps with differential equations.
gordilloedwin
Hi there..

I'm a second semester student and I was asked by my teacher to ask some engineers and scientist about three problems in which differential equations are used, I need to solve them myself using the methods I already know. they can be simple ones because I need to deliver the project in three days.
Since i know there has to be some awesome engineers in here, I please ask you to propose three problems which i would need to use D.E. , they have to be problems i may find in analizing something like a circuit or a material.. i don't know but please keep it "simple", am just in second semester but i do know how to work on D.E. but i have never take them into real life.
The hardest problem for me would be to mathematically modelate the problem.. So there's my request.
Oh .. and if you can tell me if you think D.E. are important and if so, why you think so, your name and the class you teach.. err, and a little initial thought on how to correctly modelate your problem( the initial equiation ). i know many use them as t=0 and from there well you know .. I was not allowed to use any of the problems in Stewart/Calculus nor the Larson/Calculus books :(

I hope information was clear :P

thanks in advance
Edwin Gordillo
IPN

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in order to help you, I suppose we must first know how much you currently know about DEs. Do you know how to solve 2nd order homogenous linear ODEs? Eg. y'' + 2y' + y =0.

For first order ODEs, do you know the method of solving by integrating factors, Bernoulli DEs, exact differential equations?

Ok .. here's what i know
variables-separable
homogeneous
exact
not exact- integration factor?
Lineal
Bernoulli
Ricatti

the one you showed me is solved by first writing a "like-equiation" as m^2 + 2m+1 = 0 and i can even solve the ones that have a function g(x) .. for instance y'' + 2y' + y = e^x
Im also able to solve 2nd order lineal homogeneous using power series.. please excuse my english as am not a native speaker.

anyways is pretty much what I can do , however using power series is kind of .. a more extensive process and I don't have as much time :(

Thanks!

Well a quick suggestion for a 2nd order linear homogenous ODE would be to solve for a circuit consisting of a inductor, capacitor and resistor as well as a voltage source all connected in series.

If you want more suggestions, this link helps a lot:
http://www.sosmath.com/diffeq/diffeq.html

Wow... this is great! thanks

What are differential equations used for in engineering?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. In engineering, they are used to model and analyze systems that involve change and rates of change, such as motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits.

How are differential equations solved in engineering?

There are several methods for solving differential equations in engineering, including separation of variables, the method of undetermined coefficients, and numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods. The appropriate method will depend on the specific equation and its application.

Why are differential equations important in engineering?

Differential equations are important in engineering because they allow us to model and predict the behavior of systems that involve change and rates of change, which are common in many engineering applications. They also help us understand the underlying principles and relationships in these systems, allowing us to design and optimize them more effectively.

What are some real-world applications of differential equations in engineering?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of engineering applications, including analyzing the motion of objects, modeling heat transfer in buildings and engines, designing control systems for robots and vehicles, and predicting the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also essential in fields such as fluid mechanics, structural engineering, and chemical engineering.

What skills are required to work with differential equations in engineering?

To work with differential equations in engineering, one must have a strong understanding of calculus, including differentiation and integration. Familiarity with linear algebra and ordinary differential equations is also necessary. In addition, knowledge of specific engineering principles and applications is crucial for effectively applying differential equations to real-world problems.