1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple D.E mixing tank problem

1. Sep 15, 2013 #1
    Hello,
    Having trouble with one quirk to this mixing tank problem:

All large mixing tank initially holds 300 gallons of water, with 50 lbs of salt already in it (initial value problem). A brine solution of 2 lb/gal is pumped in at 3 gallons per minute. The water is pumped out at the faster rate of 3.5 gal/min. Determine a differential equation for the amount of salt A(t) in the tank at time t > 0.

I came up with

dA/dt + 7A/600 = 6. A(0) = 50.

Now I understand intuitively that the volume of the tank is decreasing so the 600 in the denominator is changing with time. The answer is

dA/dt + 7A/(600-t) = 6. A(0) = 50

My question is how do they know to subtract exactly t. The tank is losing 0.5 gal/min. Thanks in advance,

Lee.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The volume in V in the tank is V=300-t/2, right? As you said, you are losing 1/2 gal/min. The concentration of salt is A/V. How much salt are you losing per minute if you are pumping 3.5 gal/min out?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted