Differential Equations Mixing Problem.

In summary: I'm sorry for the confusion. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem about a lake fed by a river and a factory, with a pollutant being introduced into the lake. The concentration of the pollutant in the lake is represented by c(t) = x(t)/V, where V is the volume of the lake. The differential equation for the concentration is given by c' + [(p+r)/V]c = p/v. Part b asks how long it will take for the lake to become hazardous to the health of the fish, with given values for r and p. The equation for this is dc/dt = rate in - rate out, where rate in is p and rate out is (x/100)(p+r
Ithryndil

Homework Statement

A lake, with volume V = 100km^3, is fed by a river at a rate of r km^3/yr. In addition, there is a factory on the lake that introduces a pollutant into the lake at the rate of p km^3/yr. There is another river fed by the lake at a rate that keeps the volume of the lake constant. This means that the rate of flow from the lake into the outlet river is (p + r)km^3/yr. Let x(t) denote the volume of the pollutant in the lake at time t. Then c(t) = x(t)/V is the concentration of the pollutant.

(a) Show that, under the assumption of immediate and perfect mixing of the pollutant into the lake water, the concentration satisfies the differential equation:

[tex] c' + [(p+r)/V]c = p/v

(b) In has been determined that a concentration of over 2% is hazardous for the fish in the lake. Suppose that r = 50km^3/yr, p = 2km^3/yr, and the initial concentration of pollutant in the lake is zero. How long will it take the lake to become hazardous to the health of the fish?

For this problem I am only focusing on part b. I need to set up the differential equation. So far I have

ds/dt = rate in - rate out

I am stuck at this part. I know the rate out will be 52 km^3/yr because a total of 52km^3 is coming into the lake in the form of water and pollutant. I am not sure how to proceed from here. All attempts have yielded an answer far different than the 1.41 years in the back of the book. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ithryndil said:

Homework Statement

A lake, with volume V = 100km^3, is fed by a river at a rate of r km^3/yr. In addition, there is a factory on the lake that introduces a pollutant into the lake at the rate of p km^3/yr. There is another river fed by the lake at a rate that keeps the volume of the lake constant. This means that the rate of flow from the lake into the outlet river is (p + r)km^3/yr. Let x(t) denote the volume of the pollutant in the lake at time t. Then c(t) = x(t)/V is the concentration of the pollutant.

(a) Show that, under the assumption of immediate and perfect mixing of the pollutant into the lake water, the concentration satisfies the differential equation:

[tex] c' + [(p+r)/V]c = p/v

(b) In has been determined that a concentration of over 2% is hazardous for the fish in the lake. Suppose that r = 50km^3/yr, p = 2km^3/yr, and the initial concentration of pollutant in the lake is zero. How long will it take the lake to become hazardous to the health of the fish?

For this problem I am only focusing on part b. I need to set up the differential equation. So far I have

ds/dt = rate in - rate out
No, you don't know that because there is no "s" in this problem. What you mean, I hope, is that dc/dt= rate in- rate out because c is the amount of polluntant in the lake and that is what you want to find.

I am stuck at this part. I know the rate out will be 52 km^3/yr because a total of 52km^3 is coming into the lake in the form of water and pollutant. I am not sure how to proceed from here. All attempts have yielded an answer far different than the 1.41 years in the back of the book. Thanks for your help.
But you are not trying to find an equation for total volume. you are trying to find an equation for volume (or concentration) of pollutant. That's why you should have specificed the "s" in your equation in terms of quantities in this problem. The amount of pollutant coming in is p and the amount going out is (x/100)(p+ r).

We worked with s in class, so I ran with that...I should have added that I am not using c, but rather s. So... s(t) = c(t) and s' = c'.

1. What is a differential equation mixing problem?

A differential equation mixing problem is a mathematical model used to describe the mixing of two or more substances over time. It involves calculating the rate of change of the concentration of each substance in a mixture, taking into account factors such as flow rate and initial concentrations.

2. How are differential equations used to solve mixing problems?

Differential equations are used to solve mixing problems by modeling the changing concentrations of each substance in a mixture as a function of time. These equations can then be solved using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and numerical methods.

3. What are some common applications of differential equation mixing problems?

Differential equation mixing problems have many practical applications, such as in chemical engineering, environmental science, and pharmacology. They can be used to model processes such as chemical reactions, drug absorption in the body, and water pollution in rivers and lakes.

4. What are some challenges in solving differential equation mixing problems?

One of the main challenges in solving differential equation mixing problems is determining the appropriate initial conditions and boundary conditions. These conditions can greatly affect the solution and may require additional information or assumptions to be made. Additionally, some mixing problems may involve complex systems of equations that are difficult to solve analytically.

5. How can differential equation mixing problems be applied to real-world situations?

Differential equation mixing problems can be applied to real-world situations by using them to make predictions and optimize processes. For example, in chemical engineering, these problems can be used to design and improve mixing processes in industrial settings. In environmental science, they can be used to study the effects of pollution and make recommendations for mitigation strategies.