Differential Equations - Population Dynamics

In summary, the problem is to find the general solution of the differential equation given by P'(t)=(b-kP)P-hP, where b>0 is the birthrate, k>0 is the deathrate, and h is the harvesting rate. The model assumes that the death rate per individual is proportional to the population size. An equilibrium point for the differential equation is a value of P where P'(t)=0. The solution involves using partial fractions and integrating both sides to get 1/(b-h) * ln(p/(b-h-kP)) + C.
hawks32
1. The problem statement
The DE governing a fish pop. P(t) with harvesting proportional to the population is given by:
P'(t)=(b-kP)P-hP
where b>0 is birthrate, kP is deathrate, where k>0, and h is the harvesting rate. Model assumes that the death rate per individual is proportional to the pop. size. An equilibrium point for the DE is a value of P so that P'(t)=0.

Find general solution of the DE, when..
a) h>b
b) h=b
c) h<b

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having problems figuring out how to set up parts a) and c). I'm horrible at DE, so if anyone could help point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
P'(t)=(b-kP)P-hP
P'(t)=bP-kP2-hP
P'(t)= (b-h)P-kP2

P'(t)= ((b-h)-kP)P

P'(t)= dP/dt

so put it in the form

f(P) dP= f(t) dt

then integrate both sides.

okay, i worked the integral of dp/dt = ((b-h)-kP)P out as...

1/(b-h) * ln(p/b-h-kP) + C = t

is that correct?

Umm you have a [tex]P^2[/tex] in there. You should try partial fractions.

I did use partial fractions.

1/((b-h)-kP)P dp Let a = b-h

integral of 1/(a-kP)P = integral of A/a-kP + B/P

Solved for A & B, A = k/a, B = 1/a

So integral (k/a)/(a-kP) + (1/a)/p

end up with -(1/a)ln(a-kP) + (1/a)lnP
==> 1/a ln(P/(a-kP)) + C

sub back a = b-h

1/(b-h) * ln(p/(b-h-kP)) + C

Did I do something wrong?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to describe how a quantity changes over time or in response to other variables.

2. How are differential equations used in population dynamics?

Differential equations are used in population dynamics to model the changes in population size over time. They help to predict how the size of a population will change in response to factors such as birth rate, death rate, and migration.

3. Can differential equations accurately predict population growth?

While differential equations can provide valuable insights into population dynamics, they are not always able to accurately predict population growth due to the complex and unpredictable nature of many population systems. Other factors, such as environmental changes and human interventions, can also greatly influence population growth.

4. What are some common types of differential equations used in population dynamics?

Some common types of differential equations used in population dynamics include logistic growth equations, predator-prey equations, and Lotka-Volterra equations. Each of these equations models different aspects of population dynamics and can provide insights into how populations may change over time.

5. Are there any limitations to using differential equations in population dynamics?

While differential equations can be a useful tool in studying population dynamics, they do have some limitations. They assume that populations are continuous and do not account for random events or sudden changes in environmental conditions. Additionally, they rely on accurate and complete data, which may not always be available.