Differential Equations problem

In summary, the given equation can be rewritten as y' + Py = Q, where P and Q are functions of x, and the integrating factor can be found in terms of y. This allows for the separation of variables and finding the general solution of the problem. Attempts at using trig substitutions and manipulating the equation are unnecessary and may complicate the solution further.
L.D.50

Homework Statement

dx/dy = cos(y) - xtan(y)

I need to find the general solution of the problem

Homework Equations

y' + Py = Q
Where P and Q are functions of x

dy/y = - Pdx
ln(y) = -integral(Pdx)+c
y = e^(-int(Pdx)+c)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I have no idea what to do to be honest. Nothing I try and do to separate the variables to get it in the form y' + Py = Q works. There is always something left over that complicates things even more. I've tried many trig substitutions, to no avail. Here is one thing I tried.

dx/x = [(1/x)cosy - tany]dy
dx/x = (1/x)cosy dy - tan y dy

But then I have two dy terms. Is this correct? I really have no idea how to proceed from here.

Ive also tried:

dx/dy = cos(y) - xtan(y)
(dx/dy)cosy = cos^2(y) - xsiny
(dx/dy)2cosy = 1 + cos(2y) - 2xsiny

But now once again I have no idea how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that your equation involves dx\dy rather than dy\dx means that just by adding xtany to both sides you get the required form! and you can find the integrating factor in terms of y.

ie use
x' + Px = Q
Where P and Q are functions of y

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations can be solved using basic calculus techniques, while partial differential equations often require more advanced methods.

3. Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are used to model and understand many natural phenomena in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are essential for predicting and analyzing complex systems and processes.

4. How can differential equations be solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration. They can also be solved numerically using computer algorithms.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in various fields, such as predicting weather patterns, designing bridges and buildings, modeling population growth, and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. They also play a crucial role in physics, chemistry, and biology, helping to explain physical phenomena and natural processes.