1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations without numbers

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is the whole problem.
    fxzfv7.png

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure

3. The attempt at a solution
    As you can see I got the first part. I solved the equation at part a.) for A(c) and plugged it into the D.E. and then solved for B(c). I need help on how to do the next part. How do I get B(0)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

B(0)=A(0)-L, right?

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3
    I feel really dumb haha. Thank you, I was thinking they were looking for a number.

5. Feb 5, 2013 #4
    Now I'm having trouble with part b.

I'm solving dB/dc = -kB by doing it as a separable equation and getting B=sqrt(-2ck+2p) where p is the constant of integration. Then using the IVP of B to find P and plugging it back in to the equation I got. Once I solve for B I put it in the equation at part a. and solving for A.

6. Feb 5, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The square root is clearly NOT a solution. If [itex]B= \sqrt{2p- n2ck}= (2p- 2ck)^{1/2}[/itex] then [itex]dB/dc= (1/2)(-2k)(2p- 2ck)^{-1/2}= -k/B[/itex], not "-kB". Do the integration again.

7. Feb 5, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And showing what you are integrating would be helpful as well.

8. Feb 5, 2013 #7
    I was integrating B dB when I should have been integrating 1/B dB

I got it, Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook