Differential Equations: word problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Newton's law of cooling to a problem involving the cooling of a cake. The temperature of the cake is measured at different time intervals and the goal is to determine how long it will take for the cake to cool down to a specific temperature. The correct solution involves using a negative value for k in the equation dx/dt = -k(x-70) to get a steady state result of room temperature 70.
SpiffyEh

Homework Statement

When a cake is removed from an oven, its temperature is measured at 300 degrees F, 3 min later its 200, how long will it take for it to cool off to 75? room temp is 70. Assume Newtons law of cooling applies. The rate of cooling is proportional to the difference between the current temp and the ambient temp.

Homework Equations

This is what i did:
dx/dt = k(x-70)

The Attempt at a Solution

dx/dt = k(x-70)
integral 1/(x-70) dx = integral k dt
ln|x-70| = kt+c
after some algebra...
x = C*e^(kt) +70 where C = + or - e^c
at x(o) = 300 so...
300 = C*e^(k*0) +70
which gives me C = 230

x(t) = 230*e^(kt) +70
x(3) = 200
200 =230*e^(k*3) +70
k = 1/3 * ln(13/23)

now that i have an equation i can solve for the time it takes to get to 75
i'll leave k as k since its confusing when put into the equation
75 = 230*e^(kt) +70
i solved and got
t = (3*ln(5/230))/(ln(13/23))
which is approximately 20 minutes

Did i do this right? or did i go wrong somewhere, i just want to make sure I am getting the right idea with these kinds of problems

Physics news on Phys.org
mathematically i find no mistake

but physically speaking we are formulating an equation for cooling so it is better to write the equation as
dx/dt = -k(x-70)
so that you will get a positive k value in the end of the calculation

because if k value is given as positive in the problem
your steady state result would tend to infinity instead of room temp 70.
x = C*e^(kt) +70

payumooli said:
mathematically i find no mistake

but physically speaking we are formulating an equation for cooling so it is better to write the equation as
dx/dt = -k(x-70)
so that you will get a positive k value in the end of the calculation

because if k value is given as positive in the problem
your steady state result would tend to infinity instead of room temp 70.
x = C*e^(kt) +70
No, it does not- his k is (1/3)ln(13/23), a negative number.

what i wanted to convey is these solutions have a steady state and transient state.

the transient state should tend to zero when time approaches infinty.(for this cooling problem)

x(t) = 230*e^(kt) +70, k<0 should be the solution if you have right idea about this problem

Thank you so much. I didn't think it would make a difference if it was -k or not because i saw an example somewhat similar to this in the book I'm using and it had a positive k. The answer just looked very confusing so i wanted to make sure i doing the question right

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to represent the rate of change of a system.

2. How are differential equations used in the real world?

Differential equations are used to model various physical phenomena in the real world, such as the growth of populations, the spread of diseases, and the motion of objects. They are also used in engineering, economics, and other fields to solve complex problems and make predictions.

3. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are used to model phenomena that change over time, while partial differential equations are used to model phenomena that vary in space and time.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, such as separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. The specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

5. What are some common applications of differential equations in science and technology?

Differential equations are used in many areas of science and technology, such as physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering. They are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of systems and processes in these fields, including the motion of celestial bodies, the spread of epidemics, and the design of electrical circuits.