Newton's Law of cooling DE involving delicious coffee.

In summary, the conversation is about using Newton's law of cooling to determine the time at which a cup of coffee will reach a temperature of 150 degrees F. The problem involves using the equation dT/dt = k(Ts - T(t)) and given information about the initial temperature, temperature after 1 minute, and ambient temperature. After solving for the value of k and plugging it into the equation, the time at which the coffee will reach 150 degrees F is found to be 3.63 minutes.
thepatient
I did this problem a few times now and double checked my procedure but I don't see what I did wrong. The answer should be 6.07 minutes according to the back of the book, but I get 3.63.

Homework Statement

Newton's law of cooling states that the temperature of an object changes at a rate proportional to the difference between its temperature and that of its surroundings. Suppose that the temperature of a cup of coffee obeys Newton's law of cooling. If the coffee has a temperature of 200 degrees F when poured, 1 minute later cooled to 190 degrees F, room temperature 70 deg F, determine time at which temperature is 150 degrees F.

Homework Equations

dT/dt = k(Ts - T(t))

k being constant of proportionality.
Ts ambient temperature
T(t) temperature of cup of coffee at a time t.

T(0) = 200
T(1) = 190

The Attempt at a Solution

dT/dt + kT(t) = kTs

multiplying equation by integration factor mu = e^(kt)

(T(t) * e^(kt))' = k*Ts*e^(kt)

Integrating both sides:

T(t) * e^(kt) = Ts*e^(kt) + c
T(t) = Ts + c*e^(-kt)

Since Ts = 70, and T(0) = 200:

200 = 70 + c
c = 140

T(t) = 70 + 140e^(-kt)

T(1) = 190:

190-70 = 140 e^(-k)
6/7 = e^(-k)

ln(7/6) = k

Therefore, equation for temperature of coffee at any time t:
T(t) = 70 + 140e^(ln(6/7)t)

Solving for T(t) = 150:

(150-70)/140 = e^(tln6/7)
ln(4/7) = tln(6/7)
t = ln(4/7)/ln(6/7) = 3.63 minutes.

Can anyone see if maybe I made a mistake? Thanks a ton.

Physics news on Phys.org
thepatient said:
Since Ts = 70, and T(0) = 200:

200 = 70 + c
c = 140

200-70=?

ehild

Hehehe. Looks like I need to go back to arithmetic class. XD Such a insignificant part of the calculation it seemed that I overlooked it several times. Thanks a ton.

Such things happen to everybody including myself. :biggrin:

ehild

What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a physical law that describes the rate at which an object cools down in a given environment. It states that the rate of cooling is proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings.

How does Newton's Law of Cooling apply to delicious coffee?

In the case of delicious coffee, the law can be used to determine the rate at which the coffee cools down after it has been brewed. This can be useful for determining the optimal time to drink the coffee while it is still at its desired temperature.

What factors affect the rate of cooling in Newton's Law of Cooling?

The rate of cooling in Newton's Law of Cooling is affected by several factors, including the initial temperature of the object, the temperature of the surrounding environment, and the thermal conductivity of the object.

How can Newton's Law of Cooling be expressed mathematically?

The mathematical expression of Newton's Law of Cooling is:
T(t) = T_s + (T_0 - T_s)e^(-kt)
Where T(t) is the temperature of the object at time t, T_s is the temperature of the surrounding environment, T_0 is the initial temperature of the object, and k is a constant that represents the rate of cooling.

Can Newton's Law of Cooling be used to predict the temperature of delicious coffee over time?

Yes, Newton's Law of Cooling can be used to predict the temperature of delicious coffee over time. By plugging in the necessary values into the mathematical expression, the temperature of the coffee at any given time can be calculated, helping us determine when the coffee will reach its desired drinking temperature.