1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Form: Closed/Exact

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    1 & 3
    I have this differential form:

##\omega = F_1 dx + F_2 dy + F_3 dz##

And I concluded that ##\omega## is closed because I calculated the partials and found out that ##\displaystyle \frac{\partial F_i}{\partial x_j} = \frac{\partial F_j}{\partial x_i}##.

Also, ##F_1## contains only ##x,y## terms, ##F_2## contains ##x,y,z## terms and ##F_3## only ##y,z## terms.

So according to an equation from class, the Domain of ##\omega## = Domains of ##F_1 \cap F_2 \cap F_3 = \mathbb{R}^2 \cap \mathbb{R}^3 \cap \mathbb{R}^2 = \mathbb{R}^2##.

Here's where I'm confused. How is the domain of ##\omega = \mathbb{R}^2##? The differential form contains all 3 parameters so I don't see how it can be. Also, would the ##g## also have domain ##\mathbb{R}^2##? This domain problem is preventing me from concluding that ##\omega## is exact. Once I figure out it's exact, then I can carry out the computations to find ##g(x,y,z)##.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of exact is:

Let ##\omega## be a first order differential form in ##\mathbb{R}^n##. If ##\omega = dg##, for some ##g : \mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{R}##, then ##\omega## is said to be exact.

exact ##\Rightarrow## closed

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's this equation from class? I suspect you are all worried about nothing. F(x,y,z)=x+z still has domain R^3 even though there is no y in it. You can't even really add things that have different domains.

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you also post the text of your problem, so we can judge what you wrote. Thanks!

5. Feb 16, 2013 #4
    So does that mean something like ##F_1 dx## = ##(2x + xy^2)dx## would mean that the domain of ##F_1## is ##\mathbb{R}^3## as well?

The equation is really from an example. It just says that the domain of ##\omega## = Domain ##F_1## intersect Domain ##F_2## intersect Domain ##F_3##. I suspect this is only for ##\mathbb{R}^3##.

EDIT: Here's the problem:

"For each of the following differential forms ##\omega## determine if there exists a function ##g## such that ##\omega## = ##dg##."

The specific ##\omega## I'm working on is pretty long but it is exactly as I described it with the specific parameters I mentioned.

6. Feb 16, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I think it's implicit that the domain of all three terms is R^3.

7. Feb 16, 2013 #6
    Oh, okay, that makes everything easier. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook