Integral of a differential form

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that if a smooth differential ##n-1##-form ##\omega## on ##\mathbb{R}^n## is ##0## outside of a ball of radius ##R##, then the integral of its differential ##d\omega## over all of ##\mathbb{R}^n## is also ##0##. This is shown by using the fact that ##\omega## is also ##0## on the surface of the ball, and that the partial derivatives of the functions involved are also ##0## outside of the ball. The proof ultimately involves using the equation $$ \oint_{\partial K} \omega = \int_K d\omega$$ and the
kiuhnm

Homework Statement

Suppose that a smooth differential ##n-1##-form ##\omega## on ##\mathbb{R}^n## is ##0## outside of a ball of radius ##R##. Show that $$
\int_{\mathbb{R}^n} d\omega = 0.
$$

Homework Equations

[/B]
$$\oint_{\partial K} \omega = \int_K d\omega$$

The Attempt at a Solution

If ##\omega## is ##0## outside of the ball, by continuity, it must be ##0## on the surface of the ball as well. We know that $$
\omega = \sum_{i=1}^n f^i(x^1,\ldots,x^n) dx^1 \wedge \cdots \wedge \widehat{dx^i} \wedge \cdots \wedge dx^n
$$ for some functions ##f^i:\mathbb{R}^n\to\mathbb{R}##, so
$$
d\omega = \sum_{i=1}^n (-1)^{i-1} \frac{\partial f^i}{\partial x^i} dx^1\wedge\cdots\wedge dx^n.
$$
All those partial derivatives are ##0## outside of the ball, so $$
\int_{\mathbb{R}^n} d\omega = \int_B d\omega = \oint_{\partial B} \omega = 0,
$$ where ##B## is the ball.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question?

Orodruin said:
What is your question?

Is my solution correct?

1. What is the definition of an integral of a differential form?

The integral of a differential form is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve or the volume under a surface in a multi-dimensional space. It is a generalization of the concept of integration in calculus.

2. How is an integral of a differential form calculated?

The calculation of an integral of a differential form involves evaluating the form at different points in the space and multiplying it by infinitesimal elements of the space. These elements are then summed up to give the final result.

3. What is the significance of an integral of a differential form in mathematics?

The integral of a differential form is a powerful tool in mathematics that allows us to solve problems involving multi-dimensional spaces. It has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can an integral of a differential form be negative?

Yes, an integral of a differential form can be negative. This happens when the form takes on negative values at certain points in the space, resulting in a negative contribution to the overall integral.

5. Are there any special techniques for calculating integrals of differential forms?

Yes, there are various techniques for calculating integrals of differential forms, such as the method of substitution, integration by parts, and using symmetry properties. These techniques can make the calculation process more efficient and accurate.