1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Geometry for General Relativity and Yang-Mills Theories

1. Mar 11, 2014 #1
    I have been teaching myself QFT and General Relativity. The mathematics of those fields is daunting, and I find that what I have come across is very difficult to master. Of course it will take work, but can someone recommend a good text for self-leaning differential geometry with application to QFTs (particularly non-abelian guage theories) and GR? One that is clearly written and accessible to an amateur like myself. Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2014 #2
    I would recommend Elementary Differential Geometry by Pressley as a primer to differential geometry. And maybe supplement it with Differential Geometry by Kreyszig.

4. Mar 11, 2014 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Mar 11, 2014 #4
    I like O'Neill for the basics of differential geometry of surfaces, which is the easiest place to start.

6. Mar 11, 2014 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the best place to learn the basics of differential geometry has to be the books by Lee. They are close to perfect. Isham's book is a good place to get an introduction to the stuff that you need for gauge theories (but not the stuff you need for GR). If I remember correctly, it's not entirely rigorous, and it doesn't go deep enough, but it's a good place to start.

Those are the books I have actually studied. If you want to go deeper, I think Fecko looks very interesting, and so does Frankel. But I haven't actually read them.

John M. Lee: Introduction to smooth manifolds
    John M. Lee: Riemannian manifolds: an introduction to curvature
    Isham: Modern differential geometry for physicists
    Fecko: Differential geometry and Lie groups for physicists
    Frankel: The geometry of physics: an introduction

7. Mar 11, 2014 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

8. Mar 11, 2014 #7
    I have Frankel's text. I flipped through it to skim certain material; my general impression: if you can gain insight from just mathematical expressions , then it is great. I like a little more exposition myself. It is a better reference text once one has learned from a more accessible text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook