1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential geometry question

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Can some one please explain to me how to show that
    [tex]J^{\alpha}{ }_{;\alpha}={1\over{\sqrt{-g}}}\partial_\alpha(\sqrt{-g}J^\alpha)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Gamma^\gamma{}_{\alpha\beta}={1\over 2}g^{\gamma\delta}(g_{\delta\alpha,\beta}+g_{\delta\beta,\alpha}-g_{\alpha\beta,\delta})[/tex]
    [tex]\partial_\alpha\sqrt{-g}=-{1\over 2}\sqrt{-g}g^{\mu\nu}g_{\mu\nu,\alpha}[/tex] (I think this is correct).

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here's what I've tried
    [tex]J^{\alpha}{ }_{;\alpha}=g^{\alpha\beta}J_{\beta;\alpha}[/tex]
    [tex]=g^{\alpha\beta}(J_{\beta,\alpha}-{1\over 2}J_\gamma g^{\gamma\delta}(g_{\delta\alpha,\beta}+g_{\delta\beta,\alpha}-g_{\alpha\beta,\gamma})).[/tex]
    Now turning to the other side
    [tex]={1\over{\sqrt{-g}}}(J^\alpha\partial_\alpha\sqrt{-g}+\sqrt{-g}\partial_\alpha J^\alpha)[/tex]
    [tex]={1\over{\sqrt{-g}}}(-{1\over 2}\sqrt{-g}g^{\mu\nu}g_{\mu\nu,\alpha}J^\alpha+\sqrt{-g}J^\alpha{}_{,\alpha})[/tex]
    Then cancel the sqrt(-g). But here I'm stuck.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2008 #2
    Never mind. I got it. Just had to turn the crank a little. Cheers.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?