1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Operator to prove identity

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use ##D = \frac{d}{dx}##as a differential operator and the following $$(D - a)(D -b)[f(x)e^{\lambda x}] = e^{\lambda x} (D + \lambda -a)(D + \lambda -b)f(x)$$ to obtain $$(D^2 + D +1)[(Ax^2 + Bx + C)e^{ix}] = (iAx^2 + [iB + (4i + 2)A]x + 2A + (2i + 1)B + iC)e^{ix}$$

3. The attempt at a solution

This question is part of a bigger question about solving a differential equation with a complex RHS. I proved the first equality in another exercise. To get it in the same form so I could use it I found an a,b such that the left hand sides of both equalities hold. That is, :$$D^2 - bD - aD + ab = D^2 + D + 1 \Rightarrow a = -1/2 \pm \sqrt{3}/2 i, \,\,b = 1/(-1/2 \pm \sqrt{3}/2 i).$$
    I then subbed in these a,b on the RHS of the first equality, ##\lambda = i## and ##f(x) = (Ax^2 + Bx + C)##. With this I proceeded and multiplied out terms etc.. and in the end I recover some terms but others have the value for a calculated on the denominator. E.g I want a single iBx term but in my answer I have ##iBx/(-1/2 \pm \sqrt{3}/2 i)## etc..

So, I just want to check: Is my method okay?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Is my method okay? I can post my work if required.

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3
    I haven't checked your expressions for a and b yet, but it looks like you have the right idea. The second formula is a specific case of the first, so you just have to plug in the right numbers/equations.

5. Mar 11, 2013 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

My expression for ##a## is##-1/2 \pm \sqrt{3}/2 i ## and that for ##b## is ##-1/2 \mp \sqrt{3}/2 i##. When I sub in these to the first equality I don't recover the terms.

6. Mar 11, 2013 #5
    Well, I checked your a and b, and they seem to be correct. I would guess you are making an algebra mistake somewhere, it might be useful for you to post your work if that's the case. Otherwise, I don't see anything wrong with your approach, I can only suggest being more careful.

Edit: I worked it out myself, and your approach works (unless I made some miraculous mistakes that made it come out correctly). Just make sure you made no mistakes and you should be ok. I found it was a lot of work to do in one go, so I split it up into easy to work with terms then recombined at the end.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  7. Mar 11, 2013 #6

CAF123

Gold Member

Subbing in to the second equality I get (Take a = ##-1/2 + \sqrt{3}/2\,i ## and ##b = -1/2 - \sqrt{3}/2\,i## for convenience to type: $$e^{ix}(D + i - (\frac{-1}{2} + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}i)(D + i + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}i)$$ Multiplying out gives: $$e^{ix}(D^2 + iD + bD + iD + i^2 +ib -aD -ai + 1)(Ax^2 + Bx + C)$$ Expand: $$e^{ix}(2A + 4iAx + b2Ax + biAx^2 - a2Ax -\sqrt{3}/2\, Ax^2 + i/2 Ax^2 + 2iB +bB + ibBx - aB + i/2Bx - \sqrt{3}/2 \,Bx + bCi + iC/2 -\sqrt{3}/2\,C $$

I get some terms (like 4iAx) but the others have a and b attached to them and they are not cancelling.
    Thanks.

Edit: Nearly there.. just got one stray term

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  8. Mar 11, 2013 #7
    Ok, expressions like that are just terrible to work with. That's 16 terms in the last expression...

Try this: when you multiply out the expression, group the terms into powers of D. So you should have a D^2 term, a D term, and a D^0 term. Each is fairly simple. That's what I did.

9. Mar 11, 2013 #8

CAF123

Gold Member

Got it! Thanks for your advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted